Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 27, 2005, 5:04 PM   #1

People who know me also know I don't do flower pictures, mostly because I flowered myself nearly into a coma the first year I owned a digital camera, but I was out walking today and looking for some sort of grand picture to take when the smallest thing caught my eye. There, just on the edge of the woods, wasa tiny strawberry plant, its white blossom touched by a thin stroke of sun. Surely this was a treasure.

Attached Images

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 5:35 PM   #2

Perfect timing! In the right place at the right time! And most important of all, you had a camera to capture the moment. Well done, Barbara.

Sometimes it's the simple things in life that stand out. Any other time of day and you wouldn't have even noticed this little flower.

I don't know if removing the dead leaf below the flower would have helped or hurt the picture. I can see another blossom in the shadow just above the lighted one. Who knows, maybe some higher force wanted you to see that particular flower for some reason. I am a believer in the philosophy that there is a reason for everything and part of our job here on the Earth is to find that reason. OK, now I know you are going to stay up all night tonight trying to think why that flower revealed itself to you.

Ok! I'll shut up, now!

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 5:47 PM   #3

I think you were right, it surely was a treasure. The only little nitpick that was bothering me was the upper left oof foliage. I wondered what a little burning would do, I hope you don't mind, if so say the word and it's gone. I have deleted it from my HD. It's a great shot as is.
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 6:51 PM   #4

Quote:
I don't know if removing the dead leaf below the flower would have helped or hurt the picture.
I have the feeling that leaf was better left as it was, and this is only because it provided a surface for the shadow.
Quote:
OK, now I know you are going to stay up all night tonight trying to think why that flower revealed itself to you.
Actually, I already know why it revealed itself to me: I was thinking about the taste of wild strawberries a couple days ago. (Some say we create our own reality.) All I know is that those big, fat strawberries grown in gardens have no more than half the flavor of their little wild cousins.
Quote:
I wondered what a little burning would do
That's an excellent nitpick, and I'm going to do it, though I'll leavethe one hereas is so anyone who's interested can see what you were talking about. I might also try a gradient, selecting the area so the gradient doesn't overflow into places where it doesn't belong.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

--Barbara
Old May 28, 2005, 2:59 AM   #5
Mag

Great shot Barbara, ireally like the lighting. Nice find!

Best regards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 10:56 AM   #6

awesome barbara :-D

i actually have a picture...of a similar 'phenomena', of the same flower! just more out in the open..well, a lot more out in the open

i love when light does this!

i think burning a bit of vignetting around the flower would be cool (kinda like gocub's example, but follow it around in the top right and bottom left corners)

i like the leaf below, and the shadow the flower's made on it :-D

very cool shot :-D

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 1:19 PM   #7

The strawberry plant says, "Sheesh! I'm the one with all the beauty, so why's everyone talking to this Barbara person? I deserve the credit. What did she do? Pushed a button and that's all." (The plant turns away, mumbling to itself.)
Old May 31, 2005, 10:24 AM   #8

Hi Barbara,
While I was out camping this past weekend (Cape Lookout, Oregon Coast) I saw lots of tiny flowers and looked for one to reachout and talk to me like the strawberry but none of them did. I got a few shots but they pale in comparison.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:28 AM   #9

hey cal, barbara wanted me to tell you guys that there's some problem with steves, that is keeping her from replying...

so she's not ignoring you

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:38 AM   #10

I'm baaack! Whatever blocked my entrance to the forums for two days has now been removed. The good thing is that I accomplished a lot more...mostly laundry, but what the heck?

Anyway, thanks everyone for your comments.

--Barbara