Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 31, 2005, 10:17 PM   #1

This is Monson Falls, about ten miles south of Tillamook, Oregon. You have to drive about five miles east of US101 on progressively worse roads and then hike about a quarter mile up to the falls. The hike is absolutely beautiful and the 310 ft. cascading falls are truly spectacular. This picture does not do the falls justice.

Nikon D100, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 lens.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:08 PM   #2

Cal, this is a case for Photoshop. I think all you needdo is burn the vertical sides of the picture so the eye is drawn to the falls. You can't possibly balk at this since it's a traditional darkroom technique.:idea::-)

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 3:01 PM   #3

Barbara, I don't understand what you are getting at when you suggest burning the sides. I know what burning is but I am not sure what the objective is in this case. I have about a dozen different shots of the falls and none has a clear view of the whole thing. There was no vantage point on the trail that gave an open, clear view of the entire falls.

If you would like to go ahead and do the edit you are referring to and post it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Cal Rasmussen
Old Jun 1, 2005, 3:32 PM   #4

All I'm saying is that you could do the equivalent of dodging the falls (or burning the vertical edges) so the central area where the falls are would be light and bright in comparison to the sides. A light, bright area naturally attracts the eye. An overblown version of this is when portrait photographers create obvious vignettes around people, but I'm talking about something a bit more subtle, trying to recreate the effect of having taken the photo from an area that was in shade.

I could quickly do this on your photo, but I doubt it would look as goodas it would whendone on the original.

It's up to you. I know you don't like fiddling in PS or PSP.

--Barbara
Old Jun 1, 2005, 3:47 PM   #5

I must be dense today (every day??). It took several readings of your post for me to understand what you were getting at. If I understand you correctly, you are recommending toning down the greenery a bit to put more emphasis on the falls. At first, I thought you were talking about doing something to the falls. There is a blown highlight near the top that could be darkened a bit and maybe some texture cloned in. I'll try both tonight and see what I come up with.

Cal
Old Jun 1, 2005, 4:00 PM   #6

Yes, that's it. No fancy trickery involved at all.

B.