Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 7, 2005, 3:57 PM   #21

If you manually set your WB from a white piece of paper, you don't have to worry about any of those settings. However, you need to take a new reading off that white paper every time your lighting situation changes.

I was quite surprised, after I did that series with the dog toys, that setting the WB from white paper produced colors that were "spot on" as our neighbors accross the pond say. Even auto WB was way off, at least on my D100.

The one thing that concerns me regarding color temperature is the fact that there seems to be more than one standard. In PSP9, it defines sunlight as 6500K. I have a light box that I use to view negatives and slides and it has a sticker on it that says lamps color balanced for 5600K. I have seen at least one other number used for sunlight but I don't recall what it is. My point is, if you go by the numbers, you're going to drive yourself nuts. If you go by experimenting and seeing the results, I think you will get better pictures.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 5:01 PM   #22

You're right about driving yourself nuts trying to go by the numbers, particularly since the sun isn't the least interested in our compulsive measurement of things. Sunlight's color temperature varies from dawn to dusk, with the weather, and in the untoward event of a volcanic eruption.

But gee, Cal, the other thing that could drive a person wacko is constantlysetting the white balance with a card. There you are, focusing on that nice card, andbehind your backa tiger prances by.A blue tiger is better than none at all.

B.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 6:15 PM   #23

Oh, come on, Barbara. That's what the cloudy setting is for! :? :? :?

Cal
Old Jun 7, 2005, 6:33 PM   #24

calr wrote:
Quote:
Oh, come on, Barbara. That's what the cloudy setting is for! :? :? :?
Really, Cal, youhave topay better attention to what you're saying:

"However, you need to take a new reading off that white paper every time your lighting situation changes." (This is where the tiger manages to slip on by...or does the photographer simply become dessert?)

B.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 6:38 PM   #25

OK, I think this has gotten out of control. I am going to go out and shoot some pictures. I hear there's a tiger in the neighborhood!

Cal
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:18 PM   #26

calr wrote:
Quote:
OK, I think this has gotten out of control. I am going to go out and shoot some pictures. I hear there's a tiger in the neighborhood!
I agree, only it's nearly dark here on the East Coast, so I'll just gosee if my son ate the last piece of fudge.:sad: