Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:24 PM   #1

Here are a couple shots showing the effects of setting the white balance from the late afternoon blue sky. The first two shots have the WB set from sky. The third is the same as the second except WB set to cloudy, my "normal" setting.

Nikon D100, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 lens.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:17 PM   #2

there you go cal

cloudy is my 'normal' setting too!

nice comparison! the warm colors work well for me! :-D

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:00 PM   #3

It sort of has that "old film" look to it. Of course I've been staring at a lot of old film slides lately so maybe that explains my comparison.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:25 AM   #4

Cal, this is a very interesting and informative challenge you have set.

Showing the results of incorrect setting of the white balance shows how to actually use it correctly:?.

The examples you show here highlight the oddities that can be encountered. The first two being (incorrect) settings taken from the sky, actually don't show the sky as it is. But the cloudy setting shows a lovely blue sky, without a cloud in sight!!!

I don't do much RAW shooting, but intend to experiment with what I am about to ask you. In the meantime, if a shot is taken with the wrong white balance setting, giving a pretty awful looking photo, can this be totally reversed/corrected with the white balance settings in an editing program, eg; Photoshop raw ??

I'll find out when I have time but would be interested in your views.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:48 AM   #5

I have done some experimenting with this. I find that if the WB has been set to an extreme setting, that is using brightly color paper or similar, the color cast may be too strong to correct with editing. However, something like using incandescent when you should have used sunny or cloudy, CAN be corrected quite well.

As for correcting WB in the NEF or RAW conversion process, I am not sure how much can be done. In PSP9, when a NEF file is loaded, a setup screen is displayed in which you can set orientation, conpensation, sharpening, and white balance. The default white balance value is "as shot". I have not tried changing the white balance at this point. I have used the conpensation and rotation controls and they work as one might suspect. I suspect that PS is similar. I've never used the Nikon software to load NEF's so I don't know what it can do.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:00 PM   #6

Sorry Cal, should have specified that that's actually what I meant. Using the on board options as opposed to custom white balance. I will have a go, for fun, at all the possible incorrect options as well as using custom, though I agree with you it may not change for the better if they are in the extreme,and see ifthey can be rescued in PS.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 6:22 PM   #7

Using Photoshop, I've been able to restore color photos from the 1950's. These are the ones that, over time, turned almost completely yellow. All it took to restore them was using Curves and then tweaking the colors. I figure that if Photoshop can do this, it can correct almost any color cast.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote