Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:30 AM   #1

I have a spiraly flouresent light bulb in my room which has a very odd, yellow color. The most accurate mode on my camera is incandesent, which makes the pictures look as yellow as my room does with the human eye. However, using the custom white balance on the wall fixes the problem beautifully. I think when you are customizing white balnce, you don't necissarily need paper, just anything pretty white. Thanks to custom white balance, I was able to capture a nice flashless picture of my cat. I will show Incandesent mode first, then my custom.

Attached Images

Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:32 AM   #2

Custom WB
Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:51 AM   #3

Well done. The main purpose of this challenge is to get people familiar with the white balance functions on their camera. You have found out the same thing that I found in my dog toy series. That is, none of the pre-programmed WB setting on the camera may be correct for all situations. The manual setting is more complicated but yields much more accurate results.

The only problem I see with your photos is that you seem to have disturbed the cat. He/she doesn't look too happy in that second shot!

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:18 AM   #4

I disturbed my cat setting the custom white balance on the wall. :?

But the reason he wasn't happy was I had been forcing him to hang out in my room for the past 2 hours. I guess my plan will be on my trips where the lighting seems pretty off, I'll find something white, and set the balance of it. A piece of white paper just doesn't seem the way to do it for me.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:03 AM   #5

Although I haven't tried it, I understand a gray card works just as well as a white paper. However, anything white that fills most of the frame can be used.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote