Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
BillD9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 184
Default

These two photos were taken as part of a white balance exercise at a workshop I attended this week. The sky was partially cloudy but the sun was shining through. The subject was standing in the shade. The open area and the fir trees in the background were in the sun.The photo on the left was taken with a WB setting of Shade and the one on the right was set at Cloudy. Both photos wer taken as "jpeg fine" and were taken 28 seconds apart. the position of the camera and the subject did not change.

The skin tones and shirt color of the subject is correct in the left photo but the grass and trees in the background are too warm. For the photo on the right, the opposite is true... skin tones and shirt are too cold but the background is correct.




Attached Images
 
BillD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:47 PM   #2
Moderator
 
calr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 8,466
Default

Bill, not having seen the actual scene, my eyes (calibrated and ISO certified???) tell me that the left photo is correct. It may be a bit over saturated but the colors look OK to me. The right photo is too blue and under saturated. The foreground and background are off color.

My wife has a new D70 but I haven't taken the time to learn the menus and settings, yet. I use a D100. The D100 has a contrast setting and a color setting. I think the D70 has the same or similar settings. Your left photo almost looks like it is set for vivid color.

I have not used the shade WB setting except in that test series I posted last week. If we have some sunbreaks this weekend (has fingers crossed) I'll try some comparisons between sunny, cloudy, and shade and see if I get results similar to yours.

Another thing you might look at in the menus is for a WB "tweak" setting. It allows you slightly raise or lower a preprogrammed setting. Normally, it should be set to zero.

For any further advise, I am going to have to steal my wife's camera and learn how to use it. I need to do that anyway so I can help her out.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
BillD9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 184
Default

calr wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
"Bill, not having seen the actual scene, my eyes (calibrated and ISO certified???) tell me that the left photo is correct. It may be a bit over saturated but the colors look OK to me. The right photo is too blue and under saturated. The foreground and background are off color."
The background in the left photo is too warm.... it has that "late afternoon" look but the time was 12:50PM. The WB in the right photo was set at cloudy (the conditions at the time for the background). The subject was in full shade, under some trees.In the left photo, the skin tones and shirt are as I remember them... it was a green plaid, not blue and the subject spends a lot of time outdoors so his complexion is not pale and bluish. Since the subject and the background were lit differently but exposed with the same WB, One of them is incorrect.

Quote:
"I use a D100. The D100 has a contrast setting and a color setting. I think the D70 has the same or similar settings. Your left photo almost looks like it is set for vivid color."
It's called image optimization in the D70 and I had it set at normal. Both of these photos are as shot with no post processing other than resizing, adding the text and compositing

Quote:
"I have not used the shade WB setting except in that test series I posted last week. If we have some sunbreaks this weekend (has fingers crossed) I'll try some comparisons between sunny, cloudy, and shade and see if I get results similar to yours."
Quote:
Shade works well for me on completely overcast days as well as in the shade. Bear in mind that there will probably NOT be any sunbreaks until the Rose Festival Grand Floral Parade is over :-)
Quote:
Quote:
"Another thing you might look at in the menus is for a WB "tweak" setting. It allows you slightly raise or lower a preprogrammed setting. Normally, it should be set to zero."
Quote:
On the D70, you do this by holding down the WB button and rotating the sub command (front) dial. It goes from +3 to -3. It was set at 0.
Quote:
Bill
BillD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:00 PM.