Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:46 PM   #1

This picture, unfortunately isn't the best quality. I don't have a scanner so had to take it with my digital camera so I can post it. This scene is right after the HUGE icestorm that hit the Kansas City area back in 2002. There was a day that electricity came back on and this McDonalds opened their doors for breakfast. Unfortunately the electricity went out yet again and this fire happened. Don't really know what caused the fire, but I do know that it was INTENSE. Oh, another side note. I just had my 35mm manual for a month when I took this pic. Never shot with manual before then.

Attached Images

alphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2005, 4:10 PM   #2

Although the picture isn't clear, it still shows the drama of a group of dedicated fire fightere desperately trying to save a burning building. I am surprised you were able to get that close. Good work.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:47 PM   #3

Thanks. I was surprised to that I could get so close. Not only was I there, but behind me stood a group of ten people. I got closer so I could take pics without them in it.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:29 AM   #4

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but look at the plume of smoke, and look at the angle of the water stream. They both follow a sort of snaking curve. It sounds quite morbid, but I think that is quite elegant.

One cannot see too much of the actual fire, but the little glow peeking through actually allows the viewer to imagine the dramatic blaze the lay beyond.

Very nice. And I know, it is very difficult to capture a decent shot of a firefighting event - my friend has tried several dozen times!
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:49 AM   #5

Thanks, DanielT2. Never noticed that about the water and the cloud. Very cool.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:27 PM   #6

The timing of the photo is very good. Very Nice shot...must have been tough getting that near.

On a side note..I just noticed that you have mentioned that you have taken this photo by a 35mm manual camera...I am not sureabout that...coz the photo shows that it has been taken by Nikon D70 Digital SLR...
I may have got something wrong here...
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:27 PM   #7
Super Moderator

he took a picture of the picture with his d70
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:00 PM   #8

Reread the original post. He took the picture with a manual 35mm slide camera and then took a picture of a print with the D70.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:19 PM   #9

arunpd wrote:
Quote:
The timing of the photo is very good. Very Nice shot...must have been tough getting that near.

On a side note..I just noticed that you have mentioned that you have taken this photo by a 35mm manual camera...I am not sureabout that...coz the photo shows that it has been taken by Nikon D70 Digital SLR...
I may have got something wrong here...
Thanks for the comments, everybody. :-)

It was actually quite simple to take a pic that close. I never really realized how close the pic was till you all mentioned it. I have a picture that I took that is a good example of distance. If you all want me to I take a pic of that one.