Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 15, 2005, 4:06 AM   #1

I had to have a garden bonfire yesterday afternoon to avoid my elderly father-in-law dumping any more uncompostable rotten wood on top of the compost heap. I seized the opportunity, and did a 5-exposure bracketed series to try out Cal's suggestion that spot-metering on a flame would work. This was in deep shade under a heavily-overcast sky; 1/60th f/2at ISO50.Of course, Casio didn't tell me how big my 'spot' was on the QV-5700's meter.

I did a 5-frame sequence, and all of 0, +1, -1, +2 stops were fine, according to taste (we have to accommodate different tastes round here don't we?)but -2 was rubbish.

In difficult exposure conditions, I don't know why everyone doesn't use exposure bracketing all the time, because it costs nothing but a few seconds on a digicam.

--------------------------

Earlier, Cal wrote

....Two, to shoot scenes of fire fighting. This may sound like a simple challenge...

-------------------------------

I hope I don't get the opportunity to witness any firefighting in the next fortnight, thanks! If you're expecting some within easy reach, I'm very glad I live in rural Cheshire and not Beaverton, OR, for example.

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:57 AM   #2

Great shot! However, I don't think that nail is going to burn! That little tongue of flame just doesn't have what it takes to burn a nail.

Very sharp image, good color balance, and most important, it shows the flames very well.

I have used exposure bracketing on several occasions but never thought of using it in this case. One problem with bracketing is that when PS or PSP gets done with its processing, all shots in the bracket sequence look alike! My D100 also has flash bracketing and white balance bracketing. Haven't tried those.

Good work!

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:33 AM   #3

calr wrote:
Quote:
I don't think that nail is going to burn!

Nail! Surely it's it's the high velocity impactor fired by the Vogon Constructor Fleet (hasn't "the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the the Galaxy" been released in the US yet?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:38 AM   #4

calr wrote: when PS or PSP gets done with its processing, all shots in the bracket sequence look alike!

Didn't you say Cal, in the initial post for the challenge, that this was a challenge for the camera not the editing software?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:26 AM   #5

All seriousness aside, have you ever noticed in a fire with a good, hot bed of coals, there are two kinds of flame. There is the yellow-orange that extends above the fuel and coals. There is also a low reddish colored flame that dances around the hot coals. You can almost see it in your photo.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:46 AM   #6

calr wrote:
Quote:
There is also a low reddish colored flame that dances around the hot coals...
Yes, and there's also the pretty blue flame from very poisonous carbon monoxide. It would be great to get that as well. Although the weather is mild at present, and 'summer' has been forecast for next week, you're tempting me to light the fire in our living room and experiment.

Alan T
Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:59 AM   #7

This photograph positively radiates warmth. Lovely.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 1:21 AM   #8

calr wrote:
Quote:

All seriousness aside, have you ever noticed in a fire with a good, hot bed of coals, there are two kinds of flame. There is the yellow-orange that extends above the fuel and coals. There is also a low reddish colored flame that dances around the hot coals. You can almost see it in your photo.

Cal
If you've ever shot those burning coals with the flash ON, it actually looks like the fire is completely out. Just a pile of ashes. You loose everything that glows. Kinda neat.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote