Attached Images

Shanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:44 PM   #2

and here is one of just one of the torchs
Attached Images

Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:23 PM   #3

I like the second photo better than the first. Until I reread the text in your post, I thought those bright spots were electric lights and the little spot in the middle was the torch. Then I realized that the bright spots were the torches.

You say you intentionally overexposed the first picture. I think that was a mistake. I am not sure what your objective was. If it was to show the flaming torches, I think you should have spot metered on one of the torches. If you were trying to show the whole scene, then you have metered correctly. A split (graduated) neutral density filter would help to reduce the glare of the torches while giving better exposure on the rest of the scene.

A flash with some negative flash compensation may have helped, also, but it would totally change the mood of the scene. I think that option is only available on DSLRs or advanced point'n'shoots.

Anyway, those are some things to think about. You are shooting a scene with very high contrast between the bright torches and the dark beach. That type of scene is difficult for even the most experienced photographer.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 6:29 PM   #4

my idea was to show the whole scene I shot that picturea few weeks back, but your points are well taken and nex timeI try to shoot something like thatI will take them in consideration

Thanks

Shanti Castillo G.