Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:31 PM   #1
daz

It's early in the fire season around here so not much is burning. This little thing is the best I can do.

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:43 PM   #2

That's beautiful. How did you do the candle in the Rose? I was considering putting a candle in the middle of a rose blossom but I couldn't figure out how to do it without destroying the flower.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:42 PM   #3
daz

I could say I cheated and did it on the computer, but I didn't. It was all in camera in one shot. First I put the flowers in the middle of a glass table. Next I set the camera up as far back as the room allowed, about 20 feet (6.5 meters). I then framed the photo using as long a lens as I could (about 100mm with the *ist DS x 1.5 give me about 150mm 35) and still get it all in. Next I place a tall candle at the other end of the table behind the flower lining it all up. With the long lens this will make the flame of the candle larger even thou it is about 3 feet (1 meter) back. Next I set the exposer for the flame using a higher aperture, about ¼ and f22. This would keep most everything in focus if you could see anything but the flame. With everything very dark I now need to brighten everything up. I do this with 6 optical triggered slave flash units around the flowers and the trigger flash on the camera. The trick is to place the flash units the right range and angle around the glass vases and keeping the flowers lighted correctly. That is harder to do then the flame part.

This is the kind of photo I would have not attempted with a film camera. Not that someone can't do it with film, but that I am not that good to do it with out using a lot of film to get the shot.

DAZ
daz is offline   Reply With Quote