Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:22 PM   #1
daz

This was taken just after sunset so the sky still has a little blue left in it. There was a high cloud layer so the stars have a fuzzy look to them. The brightest star is Jupiter.

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2005, 3:04 PM   #2

This is a nice shot but it is overexposed. It is most obvious in the dome of the building but it shows in the sky as well. If the sky were really that light, I don't think the stars would have shown as well. If you had your metering set to auto, it has lightened the picture. When shooting night shots with auto metering, you need to dial in some negative conpensation. This is because the meter tries to make the overall exposure equivalent to 18% gray. It accomplishes this in a dark scene by making it lighter. The same applies to shutter or aperture prority.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 6:01 PM   #3
daz

Hmm, you're right. How about this try. I know it is not perfect but lets se what you like better or not about this one.

DAZ
Attached Images

Old Jun 29, 2005, 6:25 PM   #4

I think this one is much better. Is this a separate shot or a PS edit? The building and lights look much better, not blown out. The sky looks better. The stars look more realistic. The one bright one still shows the diffusion of the thin cloud layer.

Nice job.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:11 PM   #5
daz

Yes, you caught me. I take all my photos in RAW. The first time I just tried to use one shot to get it all. After you pointed out how much I had the buildings out of whack I went and used a second photo and layered them. The camera just doesn't have the range to get it all in one shot. With the buildings on a different layer I could adjust the sky color to keep the sky darker and still bring out the stars. Thanks, any more pointers I can learn from?

DAZ