I took a gazillion. And man it was fun!

One more..

Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:25 AM   #2

I really like the first one PJ - thanks for posting
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:34 AM   #3

So did you take Cal's suggestion of holding the shutter open to get many shots in one frame, or was that first one part of a large group of expolsions?
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 5:58 PM   #4

Well, I have been playing with night shots for a couple of months off and on. Night time is difficult for me to capture but it's one of my favorite subjects. I keep having problems with exposure. I've been trying to get more familiar with the manual setting and I'm finding it takes ewwgobs of practice shots to know which aperture and shutter speed work well together. I still feel quite fumbly when I attempt anything.

I'm kind of embarrassed to say this but I hadn't read anything about how to take firework shots. I was planning on going tonight and thought I had time. My husband knew of a place that was having a Fourth Eve show and on spur of the moment said, "Lets go."

I grabbed my bag and thought well... I'll just give it a whirl based on what I have learnedabout night shots.

I got there, and figured low ISO, set my camera on bulb (learned that one from a ferris wheel)so I could use my remote but what I wasn't sure of was aperture. I fiddled.

Then when the fireworks went off I left the shutter open and closed it myself with the remote. I watched the fireworks a little off to the side of the camera to see how many had gone off and how bright they were. Basically, I guessed when to close the shutter.

I had a hard time with the remote. It has little bitty buttons on it and that doesn't work well if you have long finger nails. You can't feelwhere the little buttons are.So, some ended up a bit over-exposed because of it. The pretty long nails are fixing to bite it.:lol:

My pictures weren't the best... but I just chalk it up to a learning experience. And a fun one at that. I have a better idea now of what to do which puts me in a much better place for next years fireworks.:|

Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:13 PM   #5

I think you have done well for have not read anything on fireworks. Your composition is good but both shots are a little overexposed. I would recommend doing everything the same except close the aperture down by one f-stop (higher number). This will make the individual trails easier to see and help bring out the color.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:05 AM   #6

Unfortunately, fireworks are not something which we see every week or every month. By the time we get around to 'fixing' our mistakes a whole year has gone by.

Imagine the days before dSLR and DigiCams when it was way too expensive to experiment and learn. Today, with the net I learn from everyone sharing points and opinions.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:24 PM   #7

:bye:Come to Chicago... million dollar displays every Wednesday and Saturday night at 10 during the summer! I'll have to take advantage of this more... maybe tomorrow night I'll try a pic.
swenpro is offline   Reply With Quote