Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:23 PM   #1

I took tons of shots, but my friend and I got stranded in the middle of the street in an awful location, in terms of vantage point. We had a location intended down just east of the river, but unfortunately, New Yorkers had decided to simply turn all highways, streets and roads into their own personal parking lots. Thousands upon thousands of cars simply parked within the streets. We basically got stuck, and decided to just make the most of it. Anyone needing an ambulance would have not made it, I kid you not.

I am posting a link to the best images I've managed to work with. I have done a bit of post-processing on most of them, mostly just resizing, cropping, and playing with the brightness/contrast. A few of them I have applied some diffusion and blurring in some areas.

Here is a link to the page, please let me know what y'all think of the shots.

http://danspage.tallerworks.com/july.../fireworks.htm

Konica-Minolta DiMage Z3 in Shutter Priority mode, full manual focus set to infinity. Most of the shots were between 1/32 - 1/16. Usually +2.0 EV Compensation.

Here is my most proud one:

Attached Images

DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:26 PM   #2

Ok one more, and only because it basically reminds me of the Death Star exploding in Star Wars.

Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:37 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing Dan.

I personally would not have put it on shutter priority. If anything, I would have used Aperture priority.

The best I have found has been the Bulb setting. I also think that the exposure was way too short and you would probably have aquired better results.

I too am just learning so don't take my comments as coming from some kind of expert or know-it-all.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 1:32 PM   #4

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for sharing Dan.

I personally would not have put it on shutter priority. If anything, I would have used Aperture priority.

The best I have found has been the Bulb setting. I also think that the exposure was way too short and you would probably have aquired better results.

I too am just learning so don't take my comments as coming from some kind of expert or know-it-all.
Thanks for the feedback. Actually I had tried aperture priority but I didn't like the results as much! I had thought that would be the best thing. But I really love some of the shots I got using shutter priority. How would these have been different the other way? I'd be interested in seeing the same type of shot compared, all other things being the same. I didn't think to do this.

What is this "Bulb" setting you speak of? I don't think I recognize it, but perhaps you mean something else. Are you talking about White Balance setting?

Anyway, as I said the vantage point we got stuck at was so lousy, and I was so irritated about the situation (I mean LITERALLY all the roads had become parking lots). I guess my heart was not too into it, and I did not experiment as much as I had intended to.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 2:39 PM   #5

I think with the Aper Priority you would have been able to set the aperture at f11 or so and then let the camera decide on the Speed - you had a tripod afterall.

The Bulb setting is where the aperture stays open for as long as you hold the button down.

I got stuck in the same kind of situation as you because I wasn't familiar with the locality and didn't know to locate myself. We live and learn as the saying goes.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 2:49 PM   #6

Indeed. Actually, the location prevented the use of a tripod. Well, my tripod anyway. It does not raise high enough. My pics were taken holding the camera at head-level, which my tripod doesn't do. It only comes up to my chest. Through the tripod, there was too much interference.

Thanks for the info. I will make sure to try these things out next Night outing.