Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:52 AM   #1

This is my first try...Took boatloads and didn't come up withmuch. I guess these are the best so I figured I'd share them. Maybe next year I'll pay more attention to what I'm doing and not get caught up in the show!

Thanks,

Grady

GHayes396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:37 PM   #2

Grady. My 1st try was last night as well. I was getting confused about the correct settings to use. Different articles said different things. I used the Fireworks setting on my Nikon 8800. Maybe I should of used 'A' or 'M' settings. I also found once I pushed down the shutter, it was for about 4-5 seconds to take picture and record the photo. Missed other nice shots of the sky during this. Was this what you did as well? I also set it for 8MP, and Raw. Was this wrong. Thanks .
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:59 PM   #3

My first fireworks shot.
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:22 PM   #4

For a first time attempt at fireworks, I think you have done well. I think the first and third are the best. Too much smoke in the second.

Shooting fireworks is something you don't get a chance to try very often so it really pays to read how other people have done it. Pick one of the methods you think you can do and apply it. There certainly is more than one way to shoot fireworks with the camera.

The links in the challenge description are certainly not the only references on the subject. I did a search on the internet and got a couple dozen hits. I listed the first three that I thought were well presented.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:00 PM   #5

photo118 wrote:
Quote:
Grady. My 1st try was last night as well. I was getting confused about the correct settings to use. Different articles said different things. I used the Fireworks setting on my Nikon 8800. Maybe I should of used 'A' or 'M' settings. I also found once I pushed down the shutter, it was for about 4-5 seconds to take picture and record the photo. Missed other nice shots of the sky during this. Was this what you did as well? I also set it for 8MP, and Raw. Was this wrong. Thanks .

I don't know if it were wrong. I have a 20D and it doesn't have a fireworks mode. I set mine tomanual modeand adjustedthe shutter speed from 1/50th to 20 seconds. The best ones came out at about 1/2 seconds with small aperature...the aperature varied a lot and I don't remember changing it but I probably did without knowing it...it's pretty easy on this camera. Also it was set to the largest JPEG file and that's it. Don't know if this helps you at all. I'm pretty new to this photography stuff and love it but have a whole bunch of stuff to learn!

Thanks for all your comments!!

Grady
GHayes396 is offline   Reply With Quote