Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:03 PM   #1
daz

After the fireworks all the boats stared to head back. I noted all the lights on the water and thought this would make a good night photo. This was harder then the fireworks. The problem was getting all the boat lights and not washing out the light from the other lights. I don't think I quite got it. Maybe one or two more f stops. Photo is with a Pentax DS @ 55mm (1.5 x 55 = 82.5 EQ35mm) 30 sec f9.5. The clouds are from the earlier fireworks.

I may have to leave town soon (hurricane is a coming) so I may not be able to reply to anything but I will read them when I get back and reply then. Thanks in advance.

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:58 AM   #2

Great idea and it almost worked! Closing down the lens about one more f-stop probably would have made this a really great picture. It is not often one sees night shots with streaking lights from boats. Nice try.

Hope you survive the hurricane with no personal loss. Good luck.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:11 PM   #3

If you're reading this, you're back and safe - Great.

You are right Cal. I haven't seen this before either.

Great thinking outside the box DAZ. MUST give this a few attempts - I need to get another permit to leave the house after the lights have come on - LOL.

Thanks for sharing the pic AND the EXIF.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:14 PM   #4
daz

Thanks for your good wishes, but I am going to the hurricane. My home is safe in Washington State where not much happens like hurricanes. I am a government worker (FEMA) and we are commonly accused of not being very smart. What other reason would one have for go to a hurricane?

I am in a hotel just inland. The hurricane is just hitting the coast now. We have already lost power multiple times and may not be able to get on line again today. As soon as it is a little safer we will probably get a mission and leave for the coast.

As to the photo; usually I don't see so many boats on the water at night moving. After I took some photos and looked at them there were no more boats on the water, so I could not make any corrections and try again. I just used my judgment to get the ones I got.

The light keep going on and off so I better send this while I can.

DAZ
daz is offline   Reply With Quote