Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:11 PM   #1

sorting through my pics from the 4th of July, and found this one i'd missed before... i really like the way the flares seem to corkscrew through the air. not sure how they DO that, but it looks pretty neat!! no PP on this one... straight from the camera, except for cropping about 20% and resizing. FZ20, manual mode, f8 @ 2 seconds.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2005, 2:13 PM   #2

I'm afraid I have to burst your bubble. Those "corkscrew" trails you see are from camera shake. If you compare adjacent traces, you will see that the pattern is exactly the same. If the fireworks had really done that, the patterns would all be slightly different.

Fireworks of this type really do exist. Someone posted a shot of one a couple days ago.

If you were using a tripod, it was either too light, or someone bumped it. If you held the camera, this is an example of why a sturdy tripod is a must in fireworks. shots.

Aside from the shakes, this would have been a beautiful shot.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 6:01 PM   #3

well, i was using a tripod and no one bumped it, and none of the other shots I took came out with this effect, so i guess it musta been the fireworks...
Old Jul 8, 2005, 7:09 PM   #4

Compare this picture posted by syoggy with yours. In this picture you can see that the spiral patterns are smooth and each one is slightly different. In yours, the patterns are jagged and the pattern repeats though multiple traces. I stand by my statement that there was camera shake. Maybe the tripod wasn't bumped but someone walking or running nearby or a gust of wind caused the camera shake.

Any other opinions pro or con are encouraged.

Here is syoggy's picture:

Cal Rasmussen

Old Jul 8, 2005, 7:19 PM   #5

hard to tell... there was zero wind, but there were a lot of people there. no one actually bumped the tripod, but someone could possibly have been bouncing around. though once the display started, most folks quit jumping around and watched..
Old Jul 8, 2005, 8:10 PM   #6

That's OK. It's still a nice photo.

Cal

Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:21 PM   #7

Here is my analysis of what happened.

When the firework burst, you pushed the shutter button, I can tell this because there is no trail below the firework. Aerial fireworks always have a trail because a time fuse is used to detonate the charge when the shell gets to a predetermined altitude.
Also, there is no real epicenter, or burst for that matter, just a vast lack of light in the middle of the firework.

When the shutter button was pressed, the camera, most likely with a large lens that made the camera off balance, shook up and down like a pendulum. I can tell it wasn't bumped because the horizontal stars show much more variations than the near vertical ones. Since the camera was shaking up and down, the vertical streaks show almost no movement because the movement of the camera was parallel to that of the stars firing up of and bellow the shell.

At least that's what I can tell from the picture.

Brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote