Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:56 AM   #1

Serenity of night time clouds.

BigDawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:02 PM   #2

You didn't say what your exposure setting were. I am guessing 2-3 seconds. The moon is significantly overexposed to the point of not being recognizable. It is also very distracting in this photo. Another problem with long exposures of clouds is movement. Clouds are constantly moving, growing, or shrinking. In a long exposure, this will make the clouds look fuzzy.

You have a dilema here. Should you expose for the clouds or expose for the moon. If you choose the moon which is bright, the clouds probably won't show up except those close to the moon. If you expose for the clouds as I think you did, you can see the results. I think the solution here is either leave the moon out of the picture completely or use a graduated neutral density filter to reduce the brightness of the moon and preserve the cloud detail.

You want to keep your exposure fairly short, probably less than 1 second. This will probably require opening the lens wide open or selecting a higher ISO value.

I have mentioned a number of variables and pitfalls here. Experiment with different settings and the filter (if available) and see what works out best. There are several combinations that would work here, depending on the camera and your experience.

(edit) I just downloaded and installed EXIFER in order to get more info about your picture. I see that you exposed 11.9 seconds at f3.3. That is probably too slow for shooting clouds, day or night.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:10 AM   #3

Any less than that Cal the clouds wouldnot have shown at all or I would have had to brighten it up a lot in photo shop and lose some of the contrast. Also If you had copied the photo and hit properties in windows XP the exif data is there for you to see. I not only was using a skilite 1-A filter but had forgotten the polorizing filter was still attached. It will be very hard to retake these photo's as the location is about 700 to 800 miles away from me right now. Thanks for looking and giving me the info. I'll try some of it out on my next outing.

Dawg
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:03 AM   #4

At the time I wrote those comments, I was at work where I use PSP7 which is not capable of displaying EXIF data. As I said, it is a difficult shot to get to come out right. I'm not sure I could do it without several tries. I do have a split ND filter.

I looked at your EXIF data last night and determined you had an exposure time of 11.9 seconds. I don't recall the f-stop. Your polarizer would account for some of this.

You probably will have other opportunities to try a shot like this. You don't have to travel hundreds of miles to do it. Just watch the calendar for a full moon and the weather report for scattered clouds. OR....just pop your head out the door in late evening and have a look-see!

Good luck, my friend. If you do it again, feel free to post the results to this thread even if the challenge has expired.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:56 PM   #5

Thanks Cal for the comments and I'll be sure to post another soon. This time with no forgotten filters!! Lol

Your friend Da Dawg