Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 18, 2005, 4:01 PM   #1

Sorry I'm a tad late on Night! I have been looking for this picture after I lost my iPhoto Library. I had just bought the camera and used a tripod at midnight to take this picture. I used the bulb setting and held the button down with my finger till I thought it was ready, long time! You see the high lights that go around the corner? They are from an ambulance that happened by just as I was going to let up with my finger. I held it down till it turned the corner. In front of it was a car which you can see the remnants of. By the way, Here is a strickly SHOW & TELL comment: I made a Photo Essay of a day at the 2005 Orange County Fair and have it up on my personal web site. If you want to take a ten minutes break to go to my SHOW & TELL site be my guest! Once you get there scroll down a little to under our picture and click on video presentation of the fair. Oh yea, and you need the NEW Quicktime 7 for windows. Enjoy!:¬*http://freida.wolden.com/
Attached Images

freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:10 PM   #2

I like the streaking of the lights and the starburst on the street lights. Did you use a star filter or is that the starburst caused by the iris of the lens. I suspect the latter.

The real question is, what the heck were you doing looking outside your front door at midnight??:-?

Cal Rasmussen

(edit) Just noticed the "ghost" of the car.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:09 AM   #3

Quite sharp - way to go Freida.

At first, I thought the amb. might have been a bus because of the high lights. I quess there was no flashing light? Because i suppose the result would have been different.

I might be wrong but i guess the amb. did have the left turn signal light flashing as can be seen from the second red light from the bottom on the left hand side.

It's always quite interesting to do this type of shot. I'm still looking for the perfect corner with a different design.

Thanks for sharing. How long was the exposure???
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:16 AM   #4

I believe, I had just purchased a Polarizing Filter and thats what made the star effects. That's still the¬*only filter I have. What surprised me was how much the scene was lit up. It was dark outside. The sky didn't seem that light but I do live close to Disneyland and the Anaheim Stadium. At that time I was very hung up on trying to make the pictures¬*crystal clear.[img]/forums/images/emoticons/speechless-smiley-021.gif[/img] Now I like the feeling of motion in some pictures by blurring.¬*Sorry, I can't make page breaks in my messages using Safari. [img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused-smiley-017.gif[/img]Anyway, I was so excited about getting the camera I couldn't sleep! Don't tell me you go to bed at 9pm?[img]/forums/images/emoticons/shakehead.gif[/img]Freida
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:31 AM   #5

There is no EXIF data in your picture so I don't know what your aperture was set to. It probably needs to be closed down one f-stop to reduce the ambient light. Even when using the bulb setting for shutter control, the aperture still has an effect on exposure.

Hope this helps.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:38 AM   #6

Thanks NLP239, Here is the info: Shutter: 125/1, Aperture f20.00, Max Aperture f4.5, Focal Length 31.00mm, ISO 100. That for the corner picture above. Here is another two I took the next night when someone had drove over the fire hydrant and then just drove off.
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:40 AM   #7

Info for these is: Shutter: 27/1, Aperture f4.0, Focal Length 30.00mm, ISO 100
Attached Images