Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 20, 2005, 2:07 PM   #1
daz

Right now I am traveling, so it is kind of hard to do the "seeing" challenge. Most of the time I have to spend my time in hotels or with my equipment so I can't go looking to take any photos. But when we are traveling in a convoy of trucks we have to stop and get fuel. When this is the case I have to fuel the track and then stand by my truck for about 5 minutes till we are all ready to go. I don't have any control over where this is and I can only go about 20 feet from the truck, so with not having control over where and can't go very far with the short time this is the closet I can get to the challenge. I am really limits what I can even see to take a photo of.

I have taken other photos this trip that I like a lot better then this one but this is as close to the challenge as I could get.

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2005, 3:02 PM   #2

Nice shot of the truck. It looks "Angry"!!:lol:

Are you stuck to that truck 24/7? I don't think so. Within 20ft of the truck is an excellent opportunity to test the intent of the challenge. Since you don't know in advance what is going to be in that 20 ft circle, it is an ideal opportunity to try to find a picture. It could be a weed, a wildflower, a lost hubcap, a matchbook, an interesting tire track. I think you get the idea.

Think about it. You probably have more opportunities per day than anyone else in the forum to work on this challenge.

How about it?

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:50 PM   #3
daz

Angry is the way I thought it looked but not as angry as the truck driver who caught me taking the photo. People get so angry about things now days.

I was only talking about the day we are traveling. Those are the days that are like the challenge. The rest of the time I have other things I can photograph but it is not like the challenge. I have seen one or two other things though.

DAZ
Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:53 PM   #4
daz

Or mabe more like this?

DAZ
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:09 AM   #5

daz wrote:
Quote:
Or mabe more like this?

DAZ
Nice one DAZ - good catch. The previous one looks like it's coming from Star-Wars.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 9:53 AM   #6

I really like the second one. I like the way you have juxtaposed the moon with the hotel sign. Good work.

The first one is technically good and a good catch. It looks like another lame attempt to model a space vehicle, the lunar lander in this case, for commercial purposes. There used to be a motel called the "Satellite Motel" in Beaverton, Oregon that had a pathetic simulation of a satellite on top of their sign. Thank goodness it's gone now. The motel is under new ownership with a new name and a new sign.

As you travel around, look for other "prizes" and show them to us.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:59 PM   #7
daz

Thanks, I to like the second photo (the moon) more then the first one (LEM). The LEM in this case is being used for commercial purposes but in this case it is a real NASA LEM. One of the mockups used in training. This is at the rest stop in Louisiana (or was it Mississippi, it all starts to look the same and it was on the border) were if you want to take the tour of the rocket test site you park here. There is a souvenir shop that you wait in the catch the bus.

The one with the LEM was earlier on the day and the moon was as we parked at the hotel. When we parked the trucks and walked to the hotel office I was looking around for some last chance to take a photo when I looked up and saw the moon. I took one photo (always take what you can first) then started thinking how to take it better. So I moved till I had it lined up the way I liked.

I am just using photos that are in the spirit of this challenge. So those are the days when we are traveling by truck (unless you count on the plane). If the equipment is set up and I am just babysitting it (or on a break and can go looking) then I have all the time I want to find some thing to take a photo of, that isn't to the spirit of this challenge. This trip has not been one of my better trips for getting good photos, mostly boring, but I have got some keepers. This is my first time out on one of these trips with my new Pentax DS so that makes it a good warm up.

I am heading home now as the hurricane mostly missed Texas.

Thanks for the comments.

DAZ