Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:40 AM   #1

So I have been thinking about the ugly field out back for the Seeing project. I gave myself even tougher guidelines that I had to stand in one place and look over the wall. Of course, I have a 300mm lens! But this shot was taken by my 18-55mm lens. Later I will put in a picture of the field and maybe go try some more.
Attached Images

freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:11 PM   #2

Nice shot although a tad overexposed. It is also leaning a bit or that closest HV tower is about to fall over.

I have observed in my own shooting of sunrises and sunsets that objects silhouetted in the foreground tend to not be sharp even if the focus point was the object. I think the brightness of the sky and sun overwhelms the CCD and it bleeds over to adjacent pixels. I think I see a bit of this on the tower. Not sure what to do about it.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:31 PM   #3

Hi Cal, and thanks for the reply! You know I went backed and looked at the one tower on the right and I realized there are two lines of towers back there. Gee, I never saw that before! See, good assignment!* You can see that in the pictures on my little mac homepage:*http://homepage.mac.com/freidaw/PhotoAlbum35.html Here is one of those pictures that show you how the field really looks. More on the page above. The towers are bigger than burning man!
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:32 PM   #4

Here's another one straight out the back looking over the fence.
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:45 PM   #5

Your right Cal, it does bleed over into the towers. I guess I have been thinking to much about composition and not enough on clarity. Did you take a look at my Photo Essay of the 2005 OC Fair at http://freida.wolden.com You'll need Quicktime 7 for Windows. Something about some of fuzzy pictures there I like. Feels like movement! But your right that bright spot is too bright! Thanks for the input and points to grow!
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:30 PM   #6

hey freidaw...

just wanted to mention, that with a sky that is bright like that, the bleeding is inevitable..

i think you did very well here...

very tough subject...and you worked it out well!

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:25 AM   #7

Thanks Vito! I was looking at the shots I took today again and zoom in a little closer on the one below. I was shooting with my zoom 70-300mm at 300mm with my 2x converter on, down into one of the holes. Today I just saw some weeds outside the hole but tonight I'm seeing a little creature. We have a lot of problems with gophers. I can't stop seeing something weird there! I'm going back out tomorrow with my binoculars! I wonder if the new nursery guys have put down traps! It's amazing what you can see in an ugly old field huh?Thanks again! I love my camera!*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/camera.gif[/img][img]/forums/images/emoticons/camera.gif[/img][img]/forums/images/emoticons/camera.gif[/img]
Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:16 AM   #8

"It's amazing what you can see in an ugly old field huh?"

That was the whole point of the challenge. Even the most benign of locations has something interesting to photograph if you look hard enough.

Good work.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote