Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:41 PM   #1

The first 2 have different focal points. The third is the sculpture from the outside looking in.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2005, 6:01 PM   #2

Although these are great shots, I don't think they qualify as filters. A filter is something that alters the image viewed through it in some way. These sculpture closeups are not altering the background image in any way. They are masking part of it but not altering it.

By altering, I mean changing the sharpness, color, or any other optical characteristics of the image. If you got close enough to the sculpture so that the sculpture is totally out of focus and this caused the background image to be distorted, that would certainly qualify. That is not the case here.

A piece of cardboard with a shape cut out of it and held in front of the lens would frame the image with the cutout shape. Technically, this is a mask. However, since Cokin sells filters elements with shapes cut out of them, I guess I must accept that these are indeed filters.

OK, now it is time for someone to say I am all wet. I welcome opposing viewpoints. That is why we are here, to show pictures we have shot, discuss how we did it and discuss the pros and cons as how the pictures relate to the assignment or challenge.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:30 PM   #3

Cal, Your all wet!!!!! lol Just kidding. I believe you are right on this one. There is a difference. Some masks are called filter masks but they are still masks. And I see ten angels doing the bugaloo on the head of this pin!!! LOL

Dawg

Ps Nice shots though NLP!!!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 9:03 PM   #4

Thanks for your comments guys. I guess I misunderstood the challenge - did the same as a fly-swatter. I could have shot thru a coloured piece of glass or paper I guess.

Oh well - tough tities -I wait for the next challenge.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:25 PM   #5

The difference between the flyswatter and the sculpture is that the flyswatter created a soft-focus over the entire image. However, the sculpture did not alter the background image but simply masked a portion of it.

I still say they are great images. I have use your technique many times.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote