Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 2, 2005, 4:48 AM   #1

Okay, that's two in a row, I did. But I thought this one was worth putting up. I love wood and when you combine light and dark woods they can make beautiful patterns! Also, the patterns in some grains of woods, like Curly Maple or Birds Eye Maple are 3D looking. Now for the bragging part. I made this segmented bowl which is not as complicated as a more experienced woodturners could make. Some of these segmented bowls have hundreds of little pieces and take a very long time to create. Freida
Attached Images

freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 4:49 AM   #2

The bottom
Attached Images

Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:07 AM   #3

Here is a maple lidded container I created. Can you see the beautiful pattern that is in the wood. Gives me goose bumps! Especially when you put the finish on that brings out the 3D effect! It's hard to capture in a photo and it's one area I need to work on. Lighting is a problem. I adjusted some of the color to bring out the wood pattern. Any points to grow would be appreciated. Freida
Attached Images

Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:55 AM   #4

While I agree it's difficult if not impossible to make the photo provide all the qualities of the original, there's a distinct 3-D effect in a vertical stripe from top to bottom. It defnitely adds a great dimension to the work.

Lovely work(s) photo and woodwork.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:21 PM   #5

Yes, very nice work! I love wood too. When you put the first coat of stain on and the grains begin to show it's very beautiful isn't it.

The first picture took me a little time to get to the bottom. My first impression was "Wow!! That's a huge bowl!" The optical illusion was funny, but then we got to the hand.

Great work all around.

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:43 PM   #6

Those are beautiful pieces of woodcraft. I hope someday soon to have the proper tools to do that kind of work. Currently, I have a table saw and assorted hand held power tools. I really want a Shopsmith Mark V. It's on the long range shopping list.

Nice photos. If you have more, please show us.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:25 PM   #7

Thank you all for the kinds words! Cal, I remember when I went to the Orange County Fair a couple of years ago and fell in love with a Shopsmith! But I held off and decided to take some classes at a local community college.

I took woodworking and woodturning (many times!). They talked me out of a Shopsmith so I have been buying the tools individually. Like the Jet Mini Lathe to get started, a small band saw, drill press, joiner and garage sale table saw. It goes on endlessly what you need! But it's so fun! As soon as I win the lotto I'll be having a big art & wood studio in my new house!

If you want to see some of my wood and ceramic colllection you can go to this site but don't look to close at the less than perfect photo's:

http://freida.wolden.com/index.php?n...e=1&sort=n

Freida