Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:31 AM   #1

Hey folks;

I don't know if this qualifies here or not. For one thing, it's a film image, shot with a 70s model OM1. The filmwaspretty poor and the scan is the standard Wal-mart quality...

Anyway... I'm very passionate about a number of things, and this shot ties some of them together. Firstly, I am a musician and educator, hence the sound console in my music room. Secondly, another great passion of mine is photography - no surprise there as that is what brings up together here. For me a lot of the pleasure is the physical sensation of handling the camera, exploring the space, and finding the zone that makes a shot feel right. It's the feeling of my fingers on the lenses,dials and buttons, and it's the feel and the sound of the shutter capturing the moment. (By the way, the OM1 isa fantastic camera for this... nothing automatic, and it kicks like a shotgun)

I apologize for the scan quality... it's a little more grainy than I would have liked.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:41 AM   #2

Tom

A soothing shot for this savage beast. Only thing missing is a Rachmaninov (sp?) sound track. Interesting stance you took to make this photo. Thanks for sharing.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:59 AM   #3

Tom,

Your passion shines thru. No need to apologize about the Wal-Mart quality scan, I think we've all been there and have been the recepient of marginal quality work.

Love the added touch of the reflection.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:25 PM   #4

Nice posting indeed! Your description is perfect in that it ties in your passions together. Gee......how did I know it would be music??

There's one you have in your collection called Tools of the Trade. I was expecting to see that but this one ties in the photography because of your reflection.

Good choice, oh and...nice description for the photography.

Rose

mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 1:04 PM   #5

mommy_culleton wrote:
Quote:
Nice posting indeed! Your description is perfect in that it ties in your passions together. Gee......how did I know it would be music??

There's one you have in your collection called Tools of the Trade. I was expecting to see that but this one ties in the photography because of your reflection.

Good choice, oh and...nice description for the photography.

Rose
Thanks folks. Rose, thanks for remembering Tools of the trade. To be totally honest, I never really felt like that series was successful. (though the concept sounds like a good challenge - hint, hint.:-)) You can check it out here: Tools of the trade.

I was a little hesitant to post this one because originally it was intended as a self-portrait. Post a self-portrait for a challenge called "Passions"? Pretty arrogant stuff. :roll:Anyway, as a self-portrait, it doesn't really work asthere is very little of me in the shot.

As Walter noted, though, you can see some of the physical stuff I mentioned in my original post. I distinctly remember the sensation of moving my body as I framed this shot. I remember freezing for the moment I felt I had the shot I intended, and I remember the weight heavy on my right leg as I took the shot.

If I can say one more thing (never get tired of talking about our own work, do we?) The reason I like this shot is that though it is a still-life, there is action implied. The headphones are waiting to be put to use, the sliders and dials on the board are not at rest... (and of course, it looks like the photographer is about to fall over...:-))

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 7:49 PM   #6

Note to self............Challenge for future use......Tools of the Trade.

Note to self............Challenge NOT for future use......Passion, Self Portrait :lol:

Yes, we should all love ourselves, but to the extent of passion????:lol:

Thanks for the heads up on that one Tom!!
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:54 AM   #7

Tom, I look at your photo and it stirs a passion in me that I have never been able to pursue. That being a career in technical theater, running the lighting and sound. I started to pursue this when I was in college but my mother refused to let be go through with it. I never forgave her for that.

When I go to a modern theater or auditorium and see the computerized robotic lighting devices in use, the wireless sound systems, the robotic scenery handling equipment, and especially the control consoles and computer displays, I almost want to cry. At sixty years of age, it is too late for a career change at this point.

Very nice photo and self-portrait.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote