Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 15, 2005, 6:47 PM   #1

Although many people shy away from discussing matters of faith, this is where my passion lies.

The photo that I have submitted is of two of my friends participating in a Bible study group. The setting was a public place in a neighborhood in a Third World country. It was late afternoon and about 20 had gathered to discuss the biblical passage chosen for that day.

The real question is Why am I here, and what is the meaning and purpose of life?

A noted philosopher once said that if God doesn't exist, there really is no meaning or purpose in life. The reality is that whether you live in the most affluent nation on the planet, or you live in one of the poorest, the question is still the same.

If God exists and is the Supreme Being (and I believe the evidence leads to that conclusion), then what He thinks and what he says is a topic about which we all should be passionate.
Attached Images

brownalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2005, 8:03 PM   #2

What a beautiful post. There are many people in this world that share your passion and I applaud you for sharing it with us. You've just helped spread the word a thousand fold and around the world too.

Thank you for sharing your passion so elequently.

Rose

p.s. the photo is terrific too!!

mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 8:41 PM   #3

Alan,

The setting is superb. I grew up where this setting was the norm. The gestures are caprured just at the right moment.

Aloha and mahalo, lovely work
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:46 AM   #4

Thanks Rose and Selvin
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:46 AM   #5

I have very mixed emotions regarding this shot. From a technical point of view, it is average. From the standpoint of a message, I think it is there but if I did not know what was going on, I don't get it from the photo. As for the setting, it could be any large city in the USA with urban decay. Give me a couple hours and I could probably find a place very similar to that in Portland.

I don't want to get into a discussion of religion in this forum. There are many viewpoints on religion, both positive and niegative, and currently, I have rather strong emotions on both sides. I have been a member of a major world religion for about 25 years. I was very active and had a strong testimony during the first part of that period. However, my faith and testimony have waned to the point that I am a member in name only and am considering ending the relationship totally. For the record, I am not Catholic.

That is really all I care to discuss on the subject.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:24 PM   #6

Hi Cal,

Thanks for the response.

Since I'm a newbie to this photography thing, I'll take the "technically average" as a compliment. Obviously I have some room to improve in technique, post-processing, etc. That's why I lurk around these forums...

In regard to the message, I appreciate your point of view. For me it seemed obvious that the guys were having a conversation and that they had Bibles in their hands. For me that said, "I am interested in asking the difficult questions." Thanks for sharing what the picturedid or didn't sayto you.

I am not contending that this particularsetting is somehow unique. I fully agree that you could find a similar setting in many places. You could probably recreate this photo a thousand times over (and do a better job!) The irony is that wherever that setting might be, the questions that matter most are still the same.

I also agree with youthat a photography forum is not the place for a theological discussion. In my comments I tried to convey my convictions in a non-threatening and non-judgmental manner, while not compromising what I believe are absolute truths. I would argue, however, that just because one's passion is a matter of faith, that doesn't preclude it from discussion. What irony that we humans can comfortably discuss music, sports, art, and so on, but we tend to shy away from deeper subjects.

One last comment ifI might......I purposely refrained from using the word "religion" in my post. In my view, religion could be defined as man's attempt to find God. I find all this "faith" stuff to be a much more personal matter than mere religion. Not personal in the aspect that it's private and must not be discussed, but personal in the aspect that God is personally and intensely interested in us as humans. For me it's more about relationship that religion.

In the final analysis, whether one has a biblical worldview or another point of view, the question still begs, What islife all about?

All the best to you,

Alan
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:41 PM   #7

From a personal meditation and contemplation, to heated debates in the halls of theological seminaries, to terrible Holy wars, the search for life's deeper meaning can evoke great passion beyond all reason. Hence, faith. Once organized into religious ferver such passion has repeatedly changed our world, both for good and for ill.

The photo, to me, conveys more of a sense of searching as opposed to passion driven action.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:01 AM   #8

Interesting comments from everyone. I would like to point out that the challenge is the passion of the person posting. Tom's passion is music, Alady's is photography/motor cross, Walters cars and so on. Brownalans is his faith. The callenge is to show one's passion. I think that is being accomplished in all shots to date and I'm very excited as to how this challenge is progressing.

We don't have to agree or disagree with anyones individual passion. That's not what this is about. This is about showing others what means something to us personally.

Another point I'd like to make is the photo itself. Growing up in Canada I have never seen a setting like the one posted in this particular shot. And if I did, chances are that I would not see these particular individuals. I believe that while you may find this setting and can duplicate this shot in many parts of the world, you cannot duplicate it in ALL parts of the world.

I've said it many times before.........this is one of the main things I love about this forum. It allows us to see life from all parts of the world which many of us would not see otherwise. This is one of the main reasons I chose Passion as the challenge. It is a great opportuniity to get an inside look at our freinds on the forum and the world around them....... Cal's photos of his cruise, Shaun's photos of Greece, the photos of Africa and so on. All wonderful stuff!!

So that's my speech for the day. I'm so impressed at the respectful discussion and the postings so far.

So, start a new thread and keep posting!! :|

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:18 AM   #9

I like the picture! It evoked an emotion in me of caring and fellowship. Thanks for sharing with us. Nothing can stop a passion from showing itself! Good job! -Freida
freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote