Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:43 AM   #1

My other passion is music. I grew up with music all around me. We always sang in the car and listened to classical records and Sang Along Mitch on the t.v. When I started high school I had a crush on a musician and decided to take music class so I could get to know him. Little did I know how that decision would completely alter the course of my life. Absolutely everything about me was created because of that day. I ended up marrying a musician ( a different one ) and raising children whose talents far surpass mine and my husbands. We started with the headphones on the pregnant belly and exposed them to every type of music out there. They started playing instruments as early as 1 yr.

We live, eat and breathe everything to do with music. We all have our own tastes, styles and abilities and we all encourage and support each others music. It's amazing to think of how completely different my life would be if I didn't take that turn into the music room. No regrets....the good, the bador the ugly.

This photo is my inspiration. I know the quality is not the best but I'm the weak link in the talent chain anyway. I simplythrewa fewalbums on the floor along with some of my sheet music and of course my flute. I chose a few of the artists that inspire or please me the most in one way or another. We'll see if you can recognize any of them!

Rose

p.s. At one point my record collection exploded to 1,000 albums and 125 78's. But then we moved to a much smaller space.
Attached Images

mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 1:27 PM   #2

Noice composition, Rose. This is what I was looking for on the artistic side of the musical challenge.

I recognize one of those pieces of music, Greensleeves. I have an arrangement of that for church organ.

Do you play any other instruments besides the flute? I play organ (church and classical) and piano. It has been almost seven years since I played an organ. I used to have a church type organ in my home, constructed from a series of kits about 25 years ago. It was getting to the point that it required constant maintenance. There were no parts available for it, the company having long since gone out of business. Another company in Sacramento offered some electronics upgrades for it but I never seemed to have the money. When we moved into our condo, there was no room in the house for the organ and it sat out in the garage for a couple years until I decided to gut it and discard the electronics and salvage what I could from the case. If I had the room (and the money) I would have a new organ in my home in a minute!

Anyway, I have come up with an idea to show my passion(s) and will try to get it together in the next couple days.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 4:03 PM   #3

calr wrote:
Quote:
I recognize one of those pieces of music, Greensleeves. I have an arrangement of that for church organ.
...not just Greensleeves - the Ralph Vaughan Williams arrangement, which features features a beautiful flute solo. It's one of my all-time favorite pieces.

Nicely composed shot, Rose.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Cal, you've got more facets than an engagement diamond. :-)
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 4:16 PM   #4

Jack of all trades...Master of none!
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 6:11 PM   #5

Hi Rose! Excellent contribution! I hope you still have all your old albums, what a legacy to hand down to your kids and grandkids.

Bob H.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 6:16 PM   #6

AHA!! You picked up on the Ralph Vaughn Williams!! Absoluetly best arrangement of that song ever and my favorite flute solo AND flute duet.

Cal, I really only play flute and recorder. I know 3 songs on the piano and struggle to play piano with the music. My daughter plays 12 instruments and sings oh, and she just started playing viola as well. My son is drums and guitar and my husband is bass and classic guitar and drums.

I hope you have a keyboard in your new place. There are some lovely ones now that don't take up too much room. Nothing worse than a musician with no place to play!

Thanks for the encouragement guys,

Rose
Old Oct 17, 2005, 6:20 PM   #7

Hi Bob,

I'm down to a few hundred. It killed me to loose so many but they went to good homes. It's still a great collection though! Everything from Spike Jones to John Denver to BB King and Leon Redbone........with a huge selection of classical!

Keepers, every one of them!
Old Oct 18, 2005, 2:23 AM   #8

Ralph Vaughan Williams, sounds like a train conductor I once met while riding the train from Kingston to Montego Bay. He said he had just written the Banana Boat Song and some fellow.....just joking.

Very nice touch.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:58 AM   #9

mommy_culleton wrote:
Quote:
I simplythrewa fewalbums on the floor along with some of my sheet music...
Our living-room floor looks like this all the time, as we share your passion.

Have you heard the late Kenneth Williams' (1960s & '70s UK comedian) version of Greensleeves:

I woke this morning and got out of bed

With a terrible urge to paint the shed.

I fell off the ladder and hurt my head,

and nowow I've got......GREEN SLEEVES!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:24 PM   #10

HA HAH AH HAHAH HAHA HAH HAHH HHHAAA.......................... funny :blah:

Since you people are into medieval and baroque and minstrel music, I'm sure you have alot of versions of Greensleeves! When you think you are sick of the song, then put on the Vaughn Williams version and then you will love it again.

And just remember, "If it aint baroque ........... don't fix it"

Rose