Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 2, 2005, 3:58 PM   #1

I took this picture one year ago on a hot air baloon trip in Tequisquiapan, Quer├ętaro. This travel was really a great experience. What I liked alot, is that when you finally return to safe ground :G, the show goes on. It's really spectacular to see how a few men can efficiently get the baloon to loose all it's air and neatly fold it to fit into a regular pickup. So, here's the picture, I find it quite interesting though it's not the typical perforer you might be expecting here.

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2005, 1:08 AM   #2

I have a difficult time classifying this as a performance. Flying the balloon may be interpreted as a performance but gaining control of it on the ground?

The picture is good but I don't think it qualifies as a performance.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 8:17 AM   #3

Selvin has a point BUT if there are people standing around watching ANDif he took a bow when he was donethen he could be performing for the crowd:blah:. I know it's a stretch but I'm still fascinated by the fact that he can fold and pack that thing into the back of a truck!!! Heck, I have trouble putting the cotton back into an Advill bottle :?

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:04 AM   #4

Well, that's the big deal about this picture. :G The man flying the baloon is an obvious example, but if you someday can take such a tour, you'll be surprised to see that the spectacle doesn't end when you touch the ground, as the whole scene where the baloon is being folded is quite interesting.

These baloons are really big when in the air, I don't have the exact size so I don't want to make up some numbers, but the picture really shows how big the balloon is compared to a person. Talking to the people of the club, they told us a lot about the folding process, and not anyone could do it without preparation, and it really looks spectacular, that's why I considered it like a "performance".

Regards
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:50 PM   #5

I have just finish scanning about a hundred 35mm negatives of a balloon festival that is held in the Portland area every year. I think the balloons in the festival are larger than the one in this picture but they are all fascinating to watch.

However, it takes more than one person to get a hot air balloon into the air and recover it. Depending on the size of the balloon and the wind, it could take as few as six or as many as ten. A small balloon could possibly be launched by one person but I don't think so.

Consequently, I don't think I would qualify this as a performance either unless you include the rest of the ground crew.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:08 PM   #6

"The 'performance' should of course exhibit some element of drama, motivation, skill, etc. "

I am going to have to disagree that this man is not a "performer". The above quote is from the instructions, and this man is certainly performing a skill. I have jumped out of perfectly good airplanes and folding that big parachute back into that little container is a skill, I can only imagine how tough it is to control that big thing. While it may take several people to fold it or launch it, I also don't think you need to show them all. We don't need to see the entire band in the picture to know that someone is performing a song, or playing the drums. schmiedel decided to single out this one guy performing his skill and share it with the rest of us. How's that for stirring the pot??:blah:
As this is a photo challange, I will say that I like this as a photo also, I like the composition and showing an angle we don't normally see. Different than another balloon floating above. I do wonder if it was cropped quite a bit as it seems a little soft. Thanks for sharing.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:48 PM   #7

Stir away!! That's part of the fun isn't it!! I called him a performer because I applauded when I read that he folded that thing into a tiny space.

Now here's a thought ......... would there be a difference between a performer and someone giving a perfomance?? Because I would say he gave a performance if for at least the photographer!

I can be very thought provoking too you know! :blah:

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:55 PM   #8

I like it! The word performer is in the mind of the beholder I believe that the challenges should be left to the artist to the define the word. Too much┬*censoring takes the fun out of it! -Freida
freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:31 AM   #9

Hi,

This is the definition of Webster's Dictionary:
    1. To enact (a feat or role) before an audience.[/*] To give a public presentation of; present: My theater group performed a three-act play.[/*]
    [/*]
So, it's a little bit difficult as there are different opinions. I considered it a performance because, after the spectacle of the flight, everybody (including people from the area where we landed) was watching how the baloon was folded. That's why it was a performance for me.

By the way, I never said that this guy alone folded the baloon, I wrote "It's really spectacular to see how a few men can efficiently get the baloon to loose all it's air and neatly fold it to fit into a regular pickup", so I didn't really exclude the rest of the crew, I just liked this shot because the guy looks really small compared to the balloon.

Regards