Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:23 AM   #1

This is my mates band eighth day

using my 350d

with 28-300

taken around the 250 end and then with a slow shutter of around...2 seconds i zoomed out whilst the shutter was open to get this effect. pretty funky me thinks

mikeadams1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2005, 1:36 PM   #2

Sorry. This photo does absolutely nothing for me. There is little that is recognizable. It appears that there is someone doing something but I can't tell what. This may meet the criteria of a perfornance photo but I don't like it. In my opinion, it belongs in the digital art forum.

OK, Rose and Selvin, you can start throwing ripe tomatoes at me!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:56 PM   #3

nah man feedback is appreciated

its not really anythin tbh just somethin of a band i took.

Feel free to move it
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:25 PM   #4

Sorry Mike, but I have to go with Cal on this one. It's an intersting concept but since we can't realy see the performer or performance then it does belong in the digital section.

Keep pushing the creative envelope though!! I look forward to more posts from you.

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:24 PM   #5

Mike,

The main reason I rule that it is not a performer at workis that it is unrecognizable. It's not so much the technique that you used. Unless you had prompted us that it was a person in a band performing I don't think I would have been able to identify it as such.

On another note. I have tried the technique you are using, i.e. zooming in while taking the shot. It is not easy. It requires the skill of a master craftsman and agility of a chimpanzeeor did I mean to say the skill of a chimpanzee and agility of a master craftsman?

I don't know if you used a tripod or similar rigid platform when taking the shot. If not you will get much higher success rates when doing so. I have never actually tried it on moving objects. I'd practice with stationary objects a lot first. Of course this wonderful advice is useless if you were a member of the audience in cramped quarters.

The shot below was taken using the technique you described 1 second, F3.2 at 39.00mm of Waikiki high rises at night.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 2:42 AM   #6

was taken without a tripod

well your points are vailid.

Feel free to move it mods

thanks for the feedback tho!

very much appreciated
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:08 AM   #7

I am going to leave it here since it was submited for the challenge. However, if you wish to pursue this line of photography and photomanipulation, I suggest that you go to the "Digital Art" forum (just a couple selections above the challenge forum in the menu). You will get much more help and ideas there for this type of photo.

You are more than welcome to participate in the challenges here, as well. A new one will be posted later today.

Good luck, my friend. Since you have a new camera, take some time to get thoroughly familiar with it before you need to do any serious shooting for keeps. Shoot all types of shots, day and night. Try different settings and see what they do. You can always delete the practice shots. I did this with my Nikon D100. I deleted about the first hundred shots and since then I have deleted none. I am up to about 7700 on the counter.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote