Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:12 PM   #1

There has only been one new posting since last Wednesday and that was for the previous challenge. I know there have been (and remain) some problems with the forum software and photo attachments. Linked photos are working fine. Steve and his sysadmin are working on the attachment problem.

I suppose it could be that everyone hates balloons. Not likely. I admit that going into winter may not be the best time to find balloons but not impossible. On a short drive today, I saw balloons in several locations.

If you don't like the challenge, please say so, either publicly or privately. You won't hurt my feelings. I'm still going to shoot some balloons. Saw some really nice ones about a mile from my home. It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow so balloons watch out! Here I come.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:31 PM   #2

When i saw the challenge i said to myself, 'there's another challenge i won't get to do' I guess i wasn't the only one.

The oddest thing about it is that someone posted a balloon picture in Critiques ! I did my duty and told him about your challenge. I see he didn't take me up on it. Sorry. I tried to help.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:22 AM   #3

Not the time of year in Germany for balloons, Cal. Most of the outdoor things lately were more Helloween oriented and there was Martinmas on Friday - ok: there were lampions, but no balloons.

The weather is not for balloons here too. I haven't seen some good kites as well - which is a bit odd if I think about it. I could search for pics in my archive but have an ongoing project to make big sized panorama prints which is a lot of work and so I don't have the nerve for balloons tbh. The pano project eats at least 2-3 hours a day atm and you know that's a lot.

It's not that helpful, but I don't know how to help you to make it more popular atm.

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 2:00 PM   #4

Interesting challenge but I can't find any balloons. I even went to a community happening with my camera and tripod. Not a single balloon in site.
redsea2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 3:24 PM   #5

Well here's a thought. Go to your local variety store and buy a bag of balloons and try making something worthy of a photo with them. You can use just about anything with balloons to make an interesting still life arrangement.

Cal
Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:25 AM   #6

Could you maybe be a little tough on some of the people trying to do the challenges? Kinda takes the fun out of it! I think!*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/bash.gif[/img]*Kin
freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:22 PM   #7

That's an interesting question, Frieda. The purpose of this forum is to present new ideas for photo subjects or techniques and encourage them to try using the idea or concept and present their work for critique. Unlike most of the other photo forums on this site, this is a learning forum whereas most of the others are "show and tell".

The idea here is let people show what they have done and to critique the results. It is of no help to the photographer if all the comments are along the line of "nice shot", "good work", etc. The purpose here is to comment (positive or negative) on the execution of the challenge, the technical merits (or demerits), and the esthetic or artistic qualities of the photo.

If I don't like something I see, I say so. I try to be diplomatic about it but it doesn't always come out that way. That is a shortcoming of mine. On the other hand, if you review my comments and critiques over the past few months, you will find that most of them have been positive. When I make a negative comment, I try to be constructive about it.

With regard to the current balloon challenge, there have been so few posts that you can't say I've been too critical.

I do agree that this may be a bad time of year for finding balloons in nice outdoor settings. My timing was very poor. I am going to let the challenge run for the full two weeks and then perhaps repeat it next spring or summer.

If anyone feels that I have been too harsh with my critiques, please tell me either by private message or here in response to this message.

Good Day and Good Luck,

Cal Rasmussen

Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:36 PM   #8

Cal, Thank you for trying so hard to make the forum interesting. You have many talents that people could benefit from. You are an asset to all of us and we all could learn from you. It's those shortcomin's* that all of us have that sometimes need to be improved. I'm glad you agree with me on that. Thanks! You sir are guilty of being passionate about what you do and that's a good thing! -Freida
freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote