Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 6, 2005, 4:18 PM   #1

We have all seen the wonderful lighting displays the Holiday Season brings out. Your task is to share these moments with us.

Do's

Think Christmas tree lights, store front displays, building lights, your neighbor's house, the feast of Santa Lucia, Hanukkah Candles, Mishumaa Saba of the Kwanzaa festival, fireworks, bonfires. Basically, let there be light.

Don'ts

Non-holiday themed lights (e.g. your bathroom lightbulb unless it is somehow holiday related),noX-rated stuff (fine between consenting adults but this is a community G-rated show) and definitely nothing illegal.

Finally, include "Holiday Lights" in the topic of your e-mail message.

Here's something to start off the topic:

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:18 AM   #2

Thank you, Selvin, for a wonderful seasonal topic. I know people are going to have fun with this one. I would like to offer a couple tips that will help make good photos of outdoor lighting displays.

1. Set your White Balance to "Tungsten" or "Incandescent" (both are the same) to prevent a reddish-orange cast to the lights.

2. Use exposure compensation of about -1.0 EV to prevent your camera from artificially trying to make your night shots into daylight.

3. Yah, I know, I said a couple! You should probably use manual focus if you have it. Auto focus systems often have difficulty working properly in low light.

I will be posting a "Holiday Activities" challenge following this one. That challenge will cover family, friends, religious, or secular activities of the season.

So, regardless of how your family celebrates or observes the holiday season, have a truly great and safe one.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 4:37 AM   #3

Cal,

Thanks for the hints. The tree lites are red. They actually blink thru the primary colors. Santa and Mrs Claus are done Hawaiian style with a tan.

Aloha
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:31 PM   #4

Selvin, the tips were not reference to your picture but rather shooting outdoor lights at night.

Cal

Old Dec 9, 2005, 2:22 AM   #5

Cal, sorry I misunderstood, aloha
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:48 AM   #6

I feel it's neccesary to mention that the ONLY reason I haven't posted anything not only in my own challenge but especialy in this one is because MY STUPID COMPUTER WON'T DOWNLOAD MY PHOTOS FROM MY CAMERA!!!:ak47:

Very frustrating when you are trying to take Christmas photos to send out I need to find a good computer tech which definately is NOT me.

So, good luck and good snapping to the rest of you,

Rose

mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:54 AM   #7

It's probably your cable, try to find a friend with a card reader or go buy one their fairly cheap. Everyone has extra cash this time of year, right? I say that as I still use my camera as a really expensive sard reader too.:roll:
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:20 AM   #8

Rose, if you are using a cable to download your pictures directly from the camera to the computer, you are wasting battery power and valuable time. For about $25 you can get a USB card reader. You remove your memory card from the camera, insert it into the reader, and insert the reader into any open USB connector on the computer. Once connected, the memory card appears as a removable drive.

If you don't know what kind of memory card you have, take it into the camera store with you so they can set you up with the right card reader. The Kits, Ritz, Wolfe chain of stores has readers at a very reasonable price. Don't let them try to sell you a more expensive one.

Good Luck. PM me if you have any questions.

Cal

Old Dec 10, 2005, 12:57 PM   #9

Cool!! Thanks Cal Now I know what to ask Santa to bring me for Christmas!! And I've been a very good girl this year!

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:12 PM   #10

Also, if your camera batteries run out while downloading pictures, you can damage the card.

Your local computer superstore (Fry's or Comp USA) usually have card readers for very little cash.

You need a USB port, though.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote