Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:59 PM   #1

Actually, its not really a Chanukah palm, but a palm we keep white lights on all year. I took this picture a little while ago when I first got my F10. I took with no extra light at ISO1600, hand held shutter: 1/30s. The only PP was slight purple fringe removal. (very very slght)
Attached Images

Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:03 PM   #2

Nice shot of the lights, the lack of noise at ISO600 is remarkable.

Now that's what I like to see, some creative uses of non-Northern Hemisphere stuff. I get a bit queasy about all the poor coniferouse pine trees mowed down every winter to decorate tropical Hawaiian homes and Tropical Floridian homes.

Cheers and aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:38 PM   #3

selvin wrote:
Quote:
I get a bit queasy about all the poor coniferouse pine trees mowed down every winter to decorate tropical Hawaiian homes and Tropical Floridian homes.

Cheers and aloha
I live in a town where at least a third of our local businesses are Christmas tree plantations. They provide year-round employment for quite a few people, seasonal employment for a lot more, and are much nicer to look at than the houses that developers would build if the land got sold. So go ahead and buy live trees, we'll grow more.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:39 PM   #4

I have heard of decorating palm trees but I am not familiar with the Jewish traditions as relates to Hannukah or Chanukah (both the same, I think). I am familiar with the candle lighting ritual but not much else.

I have a neighbor who decorates a small potted tree inside his house with a small string of white lights. I don't know if this has any religious significance.

I am really hoping that through this challenge and the next one, we might get a small chance to learn a little more about customs and beliefs we are not familiar with. I encourange anyone who is posting pictures not representing secular or Christian beliefs to please explain a little bit about what is represented in the photo.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:39 PM   #5

Our family is actually half Jewish, half Christain, but not very religous. We have just always called it our Chanukah as a joke. The lights stay on it year round for decoration. We actually own a fake Christmas tree, but it is setup in our store, not home.

Many of my neighbors are setting up some nice decorations, so I'll be going out their soon to phograph some of their lights. I'll try first at ISO1600 with no tripod, but may bring one out later if I have to.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:56 PM   #6

Here is a revised shot. This is done at ISO80 on a tripod, with presents around the tree, etc.

It was done durring daytime (albit a gloomy day), so I had to do my best hidding the light.
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:39 AM   #7

You get an A+ for your efforts. Not too many people would turn day into night for a challenge.

Thanks for the extra effort, it shows in th quality of the shot.

Mahalo and Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote