Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:00 AM   #1

Here's one of the National Christmas Tree at the White House. I didn't have a tripod, so it's not as sharp as I would have liked. May have to go back and try again.

Attached Images

DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:01 AM   #2

Here's one from the other direction.
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:51 AM   #3

Very nice composition.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:30 PM   #4

Nice composition and exposure in both shots. My only complaint which has nothing to do with your pictures is the "d--n white lights!" It seems that the whole world is getting lazy and doing all their decorating with white lights. I hate 'em! I would think the White House could do color. Is there anything racial or religious about color? I don't think so.

I went to the annual Portland Festival of Trees weekend before last and half the trees were decorated in all white. When I last attended the festival about six years ago, I don't think there was a tree in the convention center decorated in all white lights.

Color adds so much. When I see a house outlined in white lights, it reminds of a commercial business owner who thinks putting some white lights in front of his store makes it look like Christmas.

Sorry to grab your thread and vent. It has nothing to do with you or your photograph. This is something that has been simmering within me and finally, I just had to vent.

If anyone wants me to delete this post, please PM me or one of the other mods.

Season's Greetings.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 2:21 AM   #5

Daibutsu,

Wonderful job on the holiday lights. Given the fact that it was probably cold, windy, and filled with distractions I give you even more credit.

I agree with Cal I thought the trend towrads white only lights is a step backwards.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:53 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Quote:
cold, windy, and filled with distractions
Cold? Definitely.

Windy? Fortunately it wasn't too bad.

Distractions?Absolutely. My kids were hanging on me wanting me to carry them,plenty ofpeoplelooking at trees instead of where theywere walking, and a few in the way looking at their cameras trying to figure out why they couldn't takea picture of the White House with their flash on.

All in all, a very fun evening.

I must admit that I'm a fence rider on the white vs. colored lights issue. To me, it really depends on the display and how they are used. Colored lights can really add a festive spirit to a display or they can look really cheesy. All whilte can look very classic and refined or very bland. It's all about how they're used.

One of my favorite looks is the simple New England tradition of a candle (now candle shaped lights, or course) placedin each window. Done in a 200 year old colonial home it's absolutely beautiful, but it just doesn't work for me in a ranch or more contemporary home.

Each to their own.

Happy Holidays