Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:58 AM   #1

Been on vacation a couple weeks, finally got around to trying an idea I had. Does it work for you? Put the camera in macro, focused on my hand about 2 inched away, took away my hand and pointed it at the tree around 7-8 feet away and instead of just being an out of focus blob, you get the nice circles of light. It's no masterpiece, but it might work for a desktop. Just trying something different, let me have it. Tell me how crappy it is.:blah:
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:27 AM   #2

Hey, I think it's cool! And it looks great as my desktop!

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:20 PM   #3

Very creative. I think I might try it myself to see where it takes me.

Nice job. Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:31 PM   #4

Can I play, too? I like it. Going out shopping right now but I will try it when I get home.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 2:35 PM   #5

Hey thanks for the responses. Feel free to post your playing results here if you don't want to start another thread. That way everyone can compare, you guys with the dSLR's try different lenses too. From what I hear, there is a difference in the quality of bokeh in different lenses. You might find you like one over another.

Rose, if you like, i could send you a bigger version to better match your monitor settings. Better yet try your hand at it!!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:34 AM   #6

Thanks for the offer but it's on my desktop in full and it looks fantastic! Actually, I liked it so much I sent it to my daughter to have as her desktop too. She really likes it..........very festive and colourful!!

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:28 PM   #7

It's a cool idea, but the aspherical and odd-looking bokeh ruins it for me. I've tried a few of these myself, but my Olympus C-7070 has the same type of crappy bokeh. Then, my friend came over with his 20D and got these crazy good perfect homogenous spheres and I wanted to strangle myself with the tree lights!
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 1:53 PM   #8

What do you think? HEY - this is WAY too cool and co-incidental for me to miss out! :?2 weeks ago at a staff Christmas party (in Romania where I live and work) I was happily playing around with my new toy... the Canon 350D (Digital Rebel XT) - using kit lens.

And I saw a photo opportunityi.e. some nearby candles in the room and Christmas tree lights at the other end of the room... So I took it ... thought it looked quite good / groovy on the camera LCM and was even more impressed with the results when I downloaded it later and I saw it on my computer screen! (I liked modest ability the kit lens had to do this bokeh!) :-)

Honestly, I didn't know this thread existed till now and because it fits in with this topic, it's attached! Happy and safe Christmas all!

Would love to have your comments / critiques too!

Paul

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 2:43 PM   #9

David French wrote:
Quote:
It's a cool idea, but the aspherical and odd-looking bokeh ruins it for me. I've tried a few of these myself, but my Olympus C-7070 has the same type of crappy bokeh. Then, my friend came over with his 20D and got these crazy good perfect homogenous spheres and I wanted to strangle myself with the tree lights!

LOL! Come down from the ledge David!! :blah:Yeah I agree, that's why I wanted people with the dSLR's to try it and post here to compare. Mine was taken with a Fuji S7000, a great camera, but if I had the extra $ I would probably upgrade. Those spots you see on mine are from a dirty lens that has since been cleaned.

PJ, nice shot. I like the composition you have using the tree as a background. Clone out that stick in front of the candle and you have a winner.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:09 PM   #10

GoCubs wrote:
Quote:
PJ, nice shot. I like the composition you have using the tree as a background. Clone out that stick in front of the candle and you have a winner.

GoCubs, yes you're right.... lazy me!! (or is it Christmas spirit!?) I should clone out that distracting stick in front of one of the candles for a better "keeper"!

But thanks for your positive comments also! I do like the rather nice round bokeh of the tree lights for a simple "cheap" kit lens!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote