Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:39 PM   #1

Last year, my grandmother, who was an avid photographer herself, but has since moved to a sony compact, was complaining that she could not get the perfect shot of her tree well exposed and the fireplace visible in the next room. So I took on the chalange. I adjusted the lighting to how I could get the exposure right and setup my F10 on her tripod, doing 1-4 second exposures at ISO80. Here are my 2 best, one with visible fireplace, the other without. I did not do any pp, as I did not find it necissary.

Light:
Attached Images

Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:39 PM   #2

dark:
Attached Images

Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:02 AM   #3

In my opinion, the second picture is much better. The light coming from the left side of the room is very distracting in the first. This is a beautiful setting. All it needs to be ideal is a fire in that fireplace.

Very well done.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 2:23 AM   #4

Like Cal I think the second shot is the better but I would like to see the tree lights a tad less exposed.

Good comparison shots to really sort out which is the best.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:40 AM   #5

I agree with both Cal and Selvin. Light that fire, and put Grandma in the rocker with her favorite quilt over her lap. Looks like a very beautiful home.

Merry Christmas!

Edit:

I spent a few minutes doing the only kind of shopping that I like. Hope you don't mind. If you put Grandma in the chair, you might have to blend a couple of exposures to get a little more light in the fireplace room. You have quite a few different light sources so you are doing great as is. I like the picture how it is, just thinking out loud so to speak, hope you understand.

Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:27 PM   #6

I played a little more, I really hope you don't mind. There is no disrespect intended. If you want , I will remove these posts.
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:28 PM   #7

I'm glad you all like it. You are correct, I should have had her start the fireplace. I took a bunch of shots, and these were my favorites. Some were very similar with the lights less exposed, but I loved the sparkle in the longer exposure ones. The lights at the top are a lot brighter than the rest for some reason, so that's actually accurate. I think their are more in a very small area.

Anyways, I agree I like it better without the light on, but she wanted both to be well exposed, which was a very difficult challange. I did it with the lights off because that is the look I like. I would be afraid that if the fire was on it would have been to exposed, but it would have been fun to try. Thanks all.

BTW, dispite the lack of total manual control on this fuji, a few work arounds can make the shutter go pretty close to how long one wants. I wish, though doubt they would release a firmware update for the F10 adding aperature and shutter priority onto the manual menu like they are on the F11.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 4:22 PM   #8

I actually prefer the first shot which gives depth and shows the cozyness of the rocker by the fireplace and the rugs.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:37 AM   #9

Walter C wrote:
Quote:
I actually prefer the first shot which gives depth and shows the cozyness of the rocker by the fireplace and the rugs.

Me too.
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote