Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:48 PM   #1

Here are three scale model fire engines ranging from an early Christie Steam pumper to a modern high-reach "cherry picker"

Nikon D100, Sigma 17-35mm lens, Nikon SB800 flash (aimed at subject), Aperture priority f16, 1/60th

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:22 PM   #2

Neat collection. Do you have more?
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:06 AM   #3

How did you resize these, calr? And was it a big image to start with? I'm looking a the diagonals and seeing a nasty case of the jaggies. Especially on the base the pump on the left is standing on. :O

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:32 AM   #4

I resized the image in PSP9. The original size was 2000x3008. The reduced size is 465x700. PSP offers five different resizing algorithms, "Smart Size," "Bicubic," "Bilinear,"
"Pixel Resize," and "Weighted Average." I use "Weighted Average" most of the time as it seems to give the best results. There is no option for anti-aliasing.

Cal
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:15 AM   #5

I used to use PSP and still do soemtimes. I've moved onto PS now. Erm, I can't remember what setting I used to use, which is annoying. It does make a huge different when you use a different type though, I learned that the hard way.

Actually, the reason why I started using PS was because I found it better at resizing.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:08 PM   #6

I have PSE version 1. Would it do just as well?

Cal
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:03 PM   #7

Hey Cal,

I have PSE ver 1 only, so that's what I use. I resize by changing to say 640x480 or whatever size using the bicubic option. I haven't noticed too many problems doing it this way. I would think PSP 9 would be more advanced than PSE 1, but it would by pretty easy to test it out with a picture like yours here or one with some wires or lines at an angle.
Nice scale models, although you are pretty brave ordering 3 things from Franklin Mint, I bet you get a new offer in the mail every day.
P.S. Nice to see you back every once and a while Ferny!
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:01 AM   #8

calr wrote:
Quote:
I have PSE version 1.* Would it do just as well?

Cal
I have no idea. I think PE is jsut a scaled down version of PS. They cut out all the fancy stuff. To me resizing is not only basic but vital. I can't think why they'd change the system in PE. It'd cost more money to have to produce another version for a start.

If you're really bored one day and have five minutes just open up PSP and resize using each option. You'll probably find one which works better for this type of photo. But then, you may not.

I'm sooooo helpful, aren't I?

Thanks, GoCubs.