Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:21 AM   #1

Found another one. The holly berries seem to have grown in groups of three this fall.
Attached Images

Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:40 AM   #2

Puck,

While this certainly lives up to the challenge I wonder if a better composed shot could have been taken from the other side with the three red berries in front of the branch.

The branch in front of the berries is somehow a tad distracting.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:49 AM   #3

I agree with Selvin. The branch in front of the berries is very distracting. If you could change the orientation so that one group of three berries is the center of attention, I think it would make an excellent photo.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 2:40 PM   #4

I think you're right. Those same berries were still there. Here's one from the other side.
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2006, 1:22 AM   #5

OPuck,

Much better composition, are these edible? Forgive us folks from tropical climes for being curious.

Aloha
Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:15 AM   #6

selvin wrote:
Quote:
OPuck,

Much better composition, are these edible? Forgive us folks from tropical climes for being curious.

Aloha
From Winkipedia:

"Holly berries are mildly toxic and will cause vomiting and/or diarrhea when ingested bypeople (note the scientific name of the Yaupon Holly - llex vomitoria!). However they are extremely important food for numerous species of birds, and also are eaten by other wild animals. In the fall and early winter the berries are hard and apparently unpalatable. After being frozen or frosted several times, the berries soften, and become edible. During winterstorms, birdsoften take refuge in hollies, which provide shelter, protection frompredators (by the spiny leaves), and food. The flowers are sometimes eaten by thelarva of the Double-striped Pug moth."

They are about the size of green peas. We use Holly branches for Christmas decorations.

Puck

Old Jan 20, 2006, 1:03 PM   #7

The leaves and branches I'd seen before but never the berries other than illustrations and I thought those were faked.

Mahalo for the info.

Aloha
Old Jan 20, 2006, 4:37 PM   #8

The composition is much better in the second shot but the saturation appears to be a bit weak.

Aren't some Holly berries white?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:59 PM   #9

calr wrote:
Quote:
The composition is much better in the second shot but the saturation appears to be a bit weak.

Aren't some Holly berries white?

Cal

There are many varities of holly. I've never seen a wild holly in this area with white berries. Of course the berries are green at first and turn red as they ripen in the fall. One that does havewhite berries is the Ilex serrata 'Leucocarpa: white-berried Japanese deciduous holly.

Saturation is weak because I tonedit down as well as increased contrasta bit to look more like what I see when I look at the real thing. The first picture appears over saturated to me. I guess the right amount of saturationdepends on who is looking at the picture. To me, many digicam picturesareover saturated. I also tend to like high saturation for some pictures but not for others.

Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:17 AM   #10

selvin wrote:
Quote:
Puck,

While this certainly lives up to the challenge I wonder if a better composed shot could have been taken from the other side with the three red berries in front of the branch.

The branch in front of the berries is somehow a tad distracting.

Aloha
I thought I'd have a go at bringing the berry forward a bit.
Attached Images

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote