Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:37 AM   #1

Here are some shots of the Celilo Oregon Trunk bridge. This is a railroad bridge that spans the Columbia River about ten miles east of The Dalles and the "The Dalles" dam.

This bridge was built before the "The Dalles" dam was constructed. There was a deep canal along the south side of the gorge that permitted boats and barges to navigate the river. At the time when the canal was in use, this bridge had a rotating or swing span which opened to allow boats to pass.

After the dam was completed, this whole are was flooded and to facilitate river traffic, they built the lift span right next to the swing span. The swing span was bolted or welded in place and the lift span built next to it. The lift span is still very much in use today. It is normally kept raised except when a train needs to pass. This happens several times a day.

Incidentally, all the dams on the Columbia River have navigation locks which allows boat traffic to navigate most of the length of the river.

This bridge has a number of other odd features but I am not showing those.

Two of these photos are scanned 35mm negatives and one is a scanned slide. The elevated shot was taken from the top of a bluff in a 40 mph wind!

I have one more very odd building to post which I'll do next week. Hint: It is in Seattle near the Space Needle.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 2:37 AM   #2

As far as I know there's actually only one bridge in Hawaii that can be raised.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote