Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:57 AM   #1

Is the local Pub more of a home to you than your own ?
Attached Images

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:19 PM   #2

I have to think about that one. I don't think that's quite what Rose had in mind. If the pub is more of a home than your own home, I think there is a problem. Therefore, I don't think this qualifies. Maybe Selvin will have a different opinion.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:22 PM   #3

I am reminded of the song that goes along with the TV program "Cheers" ... the pub where everybody knows your name.

Like Cal I thought a long time about this one and the song from Cheers kept buzzing in my head.

While metaphorically, the pub could serve as a home I have to agree with Cal, that wasn't in the spirit of what Rose had in mind. Home I think meant where you have your family,get your mail,rest your head at night, say goodnight to your family or dog or cat or fish or pet rock, whatever, and the place you live, not spend time at with friends.

That's my two cents.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 2:17 AM   #4

Well passes in my book, considering its my friends home as well as Pub....

:blah:
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:08 AM   #5

I think for alot of people displaced from their families for long periods of time ( for work or school) a neighbourhood pub does serve as a place to share life's experiences, stories, and bond with other people. If Rose's intention was to provoke thoughts about what is important in a home, I feel this qualifies. At least for me, this passes that acid test.
RedRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:30 PM   #6

Well I couldn't let this one go by. Interesting perspectives and conversations about what constitutes as "home".

Cal and Selvin are right about the fact that a local pub, although it may "feel" like home, and can be a "home away from home", it realy isn't YOUR home.

What I was looking for is the place where you hang your hat, go to sleep, make your meals or as George Carlin says "a place toput more stuff".

I understand about the friendships and the warmth felt at the pub or local hangout but when you turn in at the end of a hard day, what is it that makes YOUR place feel like home. Better yet, when friends and family come to visit YOU, what is it that makes them feel at home at YOUR place or what is it that you can offer them to make them feel at home?

Maybe we can do a challenge for favorite "Home Away from Home" sometime. I'm sure there will be lots of pubs.....and gyms......and McDonald restaurants.

Still, nice shot............

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:04 PM   #7

mommy_culleton wrote:
Quote:
Maybe we can do a challenge for favorite "Home Away from Home" sometime.
Now that's an idea! The possibilites abound.

Lboy, very nicely executed panorama.The angle of viewlooks very nearly 180°. This view really brings us into the scene. Well done.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 3:03 PM   #8

"Home" is anywhere you are welcomed

So, I am with lboy on this one.

Who are we to define the "home" in someone's soul, be an actual structure or a place and time in the heart where you felt welcomed, safe and warm?

P.S. I like the photo! But...where is all the smoke in those smoky English pubs, eh wot? :blah:
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote