Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:53 PM   #1

Hi Cal!

I occasionally browse this section of Steve's Forums. Your current challenge title caught my eye and immediately I thought of this photo. OK, it's quite a poorly taken photo (into the light, etc...) but it was very much a "snapshot, capture the moment" one!

So this photo below is of my twin brother (who does weights every day!) and of my fiancee (the first time she EVER lifted weights, she's getting instructions from him!) He is twice her weight (in "human mass" :-) ) and the weights he does were certainly more than twice the size of what my fiancee first tried!

OK I have to admit, my twin brother and I are NOT identical... let's just say we balance each other! And really this was my fiancee's first time ever doing (and seeing) weights. She's from Romania where I live while my twin brother and the rest of my family all live in Australia (Tasmania).

Now if someone could post a satellite photo of the relative size of Australia and Tasmania that would be another interesting "big / small" photo. (Tasmania is an island state of Australia making up just less than 1% of Australia'sland area). Or a photo of Australia (population about 18 million and the Netherlands population 17 million people... would be even better!) Australia is about 200 times the size of the Netherlands!

OK, enough writing from me..hope this photo meets the criteria, Cal!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:46 PM   #2

It works for me. You've got big and little with the weights and big and little with the people.

As you indicated, the exposure and composition are not the best. You could tone that window down in PS. That type of correction is probably ok since it parallels an operation that can be done in the darkroom called dodging and burning. I've actually done it (in a real dark room) a couple times and it is very tricky to do and get to come out right.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 9:27 PM   #3

How young do they let you marry over there? She looks about 14!
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:57 AM   #4

Cal!

Thanks for your comments, Much appreciated. If I have some spare time I MIGHT try to improve the window "blowout" in PS, but at the moment I'm having more fun using a panoramic photo stitching program... I'm new at that but already created some outcomes I like!

I'm glad you could see as I do the clear "big-small" contrast in both the weights and with the people. (my fiancee is 38kgs, my twin brother about 75kgs, so he's double her weight!) I forget the size of the "lifting weights" but the proportion was more like 1:4!

Cheers

Paul
Old Mar 18, 2006, 1:06 AM   #5

David French wrote:
Quote:
How young do they let you marry over there? She looks about 14!

Yes, David, I KNEW this would come up somewhere...! Don't worry no offence taken (and I'm quite sure you meant no offence either!) The age that people are allowed to marry in Romania is 18 (or 16 with parental consent) which is similar to most countries in the western world.

Actually my fiancee is now 20 (she's 19 in the photo). She has the interesting position of being a small and very young looking "young woman". It sometimes gets us strange looks or comments, but we handle it! Quite funny sometimes! :lol:

If you're interested in looking, there are more photos of her in this thread which I posted last year and which recently got "resurrected". She is 19 in all those photos http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=88

Obviously some people look a lot younger than they are, other people look older than they are. I guess in future years my fiancee will be glad with what she's got! (I'm 31 but most people guess I'm around 25). So we sort of "match" in that way too... :-)

All the best,

Paul
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:58 PM   #6

Liked the double contrast (weights and people). The fellow looks a bit like Larry Bird, the legendary Boston Celtics basketball player.

Agree with Cal, the overexposure in the window could be corrected with some extra post procssing work. his doesn't detract from the impact of the contrasts.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 5:21 PM   #7

Strong fiancee you have there Paul! I don't think I would be the one to tell her she don't need another pair of new shoes!:-)Nice candid shot, every photo doesn't need to be perfect to be good.
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 5:42 PM   #8

Hi Selvin!

Thanks for looking at my post...! Glad you also like the "double" big / small contrast! :-)

Wow, interesting to hear that my twin brother looks like "the legendary Boston Celtics basketball player."Sorry but I never heard of him... maybe because I'm mostly into Motorsports and doingsome myself (e.g. volleyball). Still I'm sure my twin brother would be impressed to hear!:idea:

As I see GoCubs kindly did some post processing... I think it's an improvement. You're right, with some PS work some of the overexposure can be corrected. But as you also said, this photo was for "big / small" impact in the first place

Again, thanks for your comments. :|

Aloha!

Paul
Old Mar 18, 2006, 5:44 PM   #9

Hi GoCubs!

Ha ha!! GoCubs you made a funny one!! Actually I had to look twice to see the difference... but then it caught my eye!!

Indeed, I better not argue with her now, I can see the weight training has had it's impact!! :blah:

Sure, I'll keep on the good side of her... but if not I'll have to hide behind my big muscly twin brother! Thanks for looking and adding some humour!

All the best

Paul