Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:16 PM   #1

Two weeks ago, I noticed this little nest on a tree near the house. Last satarday morning, while taking the dog for a walk, I noticed the nest had all these little openings in it. I am assuming that newly hatched spiders came from this.

Guess the only thing that could have made this shot any better, would have been to catch the new babies emerging from the eggs.
Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:36 PM   #2

Are you sure that is a spider nest? I've never seen one that looked like that. Usually they are more silky and all the baby spiders come out of the same hole. I think you are dealing with some other kind of critter here. However, I could be totally wrong.

This photo could also benefit from some fill flash to help bring out the foreground detail.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:24 AM   #3

I got the heebie jeebies looking at this thinking about spiders crawling out. Nice DOF control. A tad more lighting would have done wonders. Sometimes you take what you can under the conditions.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:16 PM   #4

This is an interesting shot. I like the look, and I'm assuming it has something to do with sping, but I have no idea what it is either??

We've all decided it's a good photo but untill we find out just what it is I can't tell if it meets the challenge. So, I'm putting it out there to everyone else.

What the HECK is that??:?

Nice shot all the same,

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:19 PM   #5

I'm with Cal. I've never seen spider nests like that. Not only they are silky, usually they are hidden in very protective areas (under the house, in the loft, etc. On the other hand, I can see some cobwebs at the bottom of the "nest" but that could just be normal cobwebs, having nothing to do with the nest itself. Despite all that, it's a nice shot!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 6:55 PM   #6

Well, honestly, now thinking about it.. This probably shouldnt be in the contest. The only way this shot could have made it into the contest, I guess is if I caught what ever was hatched from this nest.

I only thought this was some sort of spiders nest, because I have never seen anything else like it. But maybe it could also be any other insect. Dont know for sure, unless someone else has a clue.

I can tell you, I have now found close to 30 of these style nests near the river that runs in my back yard. They all are hard crusty nests with little thorns on em. All the nest tho, have the same small little opening on them as well.

If this weekend is nice, I will take another picture, this time compaired to a coin or a dollar bill, so you can realize the actual size. If I was to guess, I would say around 2 to 3 inches tall.

Anywayz, take this one out of the contest, until I can capture the perfect shot of the 'hatching'

Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:24 PM   #7

I don't think there is any need to remove the photo. However, if you can find one of these that has not "hatched", you might stake it out and watch to see what comes out of it. It would be interesting to photograph the progress.

Cal

Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:30 AM   #8

How very interesting, the things we find out there in nature! Never ceases to amaze me....

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:37 PM   #9

I am thinking that might be some kind of wasp nest. There is a variety of wasp that is quite small and black. Don't know if that's what this is or not. Where's an entomologist when you need one!

Cal