Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:31 PM   #1

In the northeast, this is the first sign of spring.
Attached Images

Turnbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:55 AM   #2

Very nice portrayal of one of spring's rituals. Not sure if black and white is my favorite for this shot but without the color version no point of comparison.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:01 PM   #3

This is my sad face. When I read the title I was very excited. When I tried to see the picture, it was not there!! I attempted to open the attachment but 10 minutes later there was still no action.

When I read Selvins comment about the fact that it's a nice picture but was in black and white, I was sad again.

This challenge is to show signs of spring ..... not just to portray what happens in the spring but to accentuate that with the colours of spring!! I would have liked to see the colour of the tree AND the sap dripping into the bucket. We suffer through 5 months of dark gray and brown winter and FINALLY spring arrives with colour!!

Please re-post this picture in colour AND not as an attachment.

I want to see it and I want you to share this with the rest of the world!!

Looking forward to it!

Rose

mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:42 PM   #4

Although this is an interesting and well composedpicture, for some reason it does not give me the feeling of spring. It could be the simple fact that spring is sorelated to colors (flowers, green grass, tree buds and leaves,...) that a B&Wphoto looks cold and winter-like instead. It could also be the bare tree at the varyend ofa lifeless field as if winter was at its peak. The bucket on the treemay not necessarily be an indication of spring.One can collect "sap" from pine trees all year round (although this tree is not a pine tree bylooking at its shadow.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 6:38 PM   #5

Okay, okay! Frankly, spring in Maine isn't always a joyous event. First, just as the promise of spring makes you forget winter, you get hit with a big snowstorm. Then there's mud season ( http://blog.turnorama.org/index.php?showimage=153 ), And then we get blackflies! But here is the picture in color:

Attached Images

Turnbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:24 PM   #6

Good colors! Thanks for posting it. Still not quite what I'd call spring-like but I guess I can't expect spring time to be the same everywhere, can I? I like it much better in color!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:21 PM   #7

I have to cast my vote for the color version but have to agree that to the uninitiated, it does not appear to have anything to do with spring.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:35 AM   #8

As a fellow New Englander, the photo says spring to me! I prefer the B&W, and would only like to see it cropped so that the right hand side uses the tree trunk as its border. I don't find the view to the right of the tree intrinsically interesting, and so the tree would make a decent edge. It is possible that a polarizing filter might punch up the differences in the shades of gray a bit (I have yet to master polarizers in color, but they're really easy to use with B&W, and accentuate contrast in a way that looks quite natural to my eye in B&W).

ETA: Did you use a polarizer on the original photo? The unnatural blue in thesky on the color version looks like the kind of ill efffect Itend to getwith polarizers in color, but the B&W version seems to lack the contrast I usually find with a polarizer if the angle is right.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:46 AM   #9

What didn't stand out in the B&W but drew my eyes to int he coloris the melting snow. Yup, that's spring in New England.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:03 AM   #10

vsch1 wrote:
Quote:
What didn't stand out in the B&W but drew my eyes to int he coloris the melting snow. Yup, that's spring in New England.
Robert Frost described New Hampshire weather as "nine months of winter, three months of late fall."

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote