Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:32 PM   #1

Well what a challenge! Cool idea (but a bit too broad if you ask me!!) :-) I have SO many photos of water... I love swimming, being at the sea / ocean, seeing the different types of water (from waves, rivers, waterfalls, even ice - and also doing some fishing (if there are fish to be caught!)

But it's evening and I must make a choice. I decided to go with an obvious one... simply because it also gives me a chance to post my sweet fiancee on the forum again... :blah: But I think this photo still meets the criteria, right?

These waves were taken in August 2005 at the Black Sea, Romania - which is VERY unusual. Almost the biggest waves in history and some people died along the Romainan coast that day because big waves at the Black Sea (Romanian coast) are NOT common, and even the local folk weren't used to it. As I'm from Australia I know the power of waves and currents from the Oceans (I've swam in the Pacific, Indian, Southern and Atlantic oceans as well as various sees and innumerable rivers, lakes, and of course pools!)

Anyway, I guess the title of my post says it all: "crashing". :?

Paul

PS yes my fiancee DID get a bit wet from the spray.... but the focal depth can be deceiving, she is actually quite a way from the waves, it was perfectly safewhere she was standing. But other people (in the water) weren't so careful, and sadly not so fortunate ...
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:03 PM   #2

Nicely done. I can't decide if I like the silhouette effect of your sweetheart or if fill flash could have been use. I think flash would have degraded the rest of the picture, so....I like it the way it is!!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 1:42 AM   #3

I like this, she seems to be saying by her posture 'I can take anything you can give.'

The water is really crashing and I can see why it wreaked as much havoc as it did. Nice capture showng the full force of water.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 2:24 AM   #4

Hi Cal!

Thanks for your thoughts and comments, glad you like it.

I think fill flash would not have made much difference as my fiancee (yes, aka sweetheart) is wearing mainly dark and she's facing away from us, so anyway very little interesting detail would have been picked up even by a powerful flash I guess (though I could be wrong...)

Well at least on the flash of my fuji p& s (f601 camera) I doubt it would have made any difference. But should the opportunity avail itself again, I'll try one for you... though I might have to wait 40 years for such big waves there again... :-)

Paul
Old Apr 12, 2006, 2:26 AM   #5

Hello Selvin,

Yes indeed her pose does suggest just that (though I have to admit it was me who was in that pose first and she had taken my photos with crashing waves... and then she wanted a go too!)

I always think she is far superior one in FRONT of the camera (much much more photogenic) and I'm the master photographer by comparison BEHIND the lens...

"May the force be with you" Aloha

Paul
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:46 AM   #6

This is a very strong image. It looks as though she's angered the Gods or something to that effect. You must have used a telephoto lens since you say she wasn't close to the water. The lens compressed it to make the crashing waves to look so close! Good thinking...it's a great capture!

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 3:53 PM   #7

Wow...awesome, Paul!?! What a capture! I like itvery much!!! Great job.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:41 PM   #8

This is awesome Paul!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 3:10 AM   #9

Ha... Stitchbabe, I had to laugh at your thought "angered the gods"! Certainly a possible title to the photo... butI hope she hasn't angered them too much, so they've forgotten by now!! :-)

I used my Fuji F601 point and shoot, from memory maybe at maximum zoom. Maybe about 120mm in 35mm ratio. So yes, it created a bit of an illusion she's closer to the water than she was.

Tullio, so glad you like the shot! Always appreciate you looking!

Bob, yes again "Awesome" is an appropriate word, thanks!

Best wishes to you all!

Paul

Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:49 AM   #10

That's a winner pose, Paul. You've done a great job capturing it. I'm not going to give any snobbish 'crop here, crop there' suggestions, at least, for this one...
She looks like Belit at the prow of her pirate ship!
And yourself....?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote