Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:02 AM   #11

Very interesting shot, philby. How big would you say those crystals were? I can't tell whether they were very tiny on a close capture ormuch larger.

Holly cow, Turnbill, I've never seen anything like it! At what altitude were you? I'm surprised your camera actually worked! Awesome picture!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 4:05 PM   #12

They are about fist size, capturedwith a300mm lens about 35 ft away.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:32 AM   #13

mt madison is about 5000 feet, Tullio. i forget the exact date of the photo, but it was late spring and there had been a brief windy and wet snowstorm the night before. when i reached the summit early the next morning there wasn't a breath of wind and the temperatures were quite mild. within 30 minutes of taking this photo, things began melting fast - you could hear ice crashing down everywhere. in a couple of hours, most of the rime ice was gone or lying on the ground in heaps. i was just really lucky to have been in the right place at the right time!

Turnbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:25 AM   #14

Thanks for the details, Turnbill. Actually I expected the altitude to be much higher than 5000. The summit at Tahoe is about 7000 ft but I've never seen anything like it. It must be a very open area, with nothing blocking the wind.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:12 PM   #15

Actually at the beginning (when this "water its myriad forms" was first put up for action, I was wondering if I should have posted this photo (below) because I found it an interesting type of thing (especially for me, an Australian)... This photo taken in January in Romania (where I now live) and check out THESE "ice flowers". I've got plenty more photos of thesetoo......

It was interesting reading this thread. These "ice-flowers" were on a water trough, where the natural spring water bubbled up (through a pipe / metal conduct) into this trough... obviously used for animals (when not frozen). Maybe that helps with some explanation.

Temperature in preceeding say 4 or 5 days: most nights between -20 and -10 Celcius, day temperatures -10 to -3 Celcius..... (in other words: brrrr.)

Paul

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:18 PM   #16

And here is another perspective of the same type of thing..
Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:20 PM   #17

Here is the water trough, you can see it "in action". The 2 previous photos were taken (as close-ups) at the first bit of ice (near where the water turns into "solid ice", about a 1/4 of the way down the water trough.

And yes, these "ice flowers" were pure water, for example when I tried to pick any up, they melted pretty instantly upon contact with my skin (or even when I breathed on them)... leaving nothing behind (no pine needles, seeds, or anything).

Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:23 PM   #18

and finally, here was a particularly beautiful snowflake or ice-flower thing on a nearby reed / twig (which was just in the air, nearby ata small frozen pond).

I had to really zoom in and try several attempts with my Canon 350D and 18-55mm kit lens (it's not too bad for macros, actually being just a normal / kit lens!), but this was my best photo of it.

It lasted a few seconds (or half a minute or so) on my glove after I picked it up (off the twig) but then fell apart... very small and fragile things!!

Paul

Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:12 PM   #19

Great shots, Paul! I love that last close-up. Now I know where the snowflake design came from! Very...
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:16 PM   #20

pj1974, the last photo is representative of what true ice flowers are. When vsch1 asked what hoar frost was, I Googled it to be sure to give an accurate answer. Ice Flowers are moisture that extrude from stems and branches then freeze, rime ice condenses as water on objects then freezes, and hoar frost condenses on objects as ice. Nice crystal by the way.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote