Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:45 PM   #1

Ok, I was thinking about this one. First thought, DANG, it was extremly foggy this morning, could have got a good fog picture, but too late now. Then I remembered I had just put out a sprinkler because we are behind this year on the rain, and the new fruit trees need it. So I hope it fits the theme, mine is water when there is not enough naturally. I learned something also. I thought, time to play around with the new camera's manual settings. Had not done that as of yet. How best to show something like a sprinkler? Slow it down and still give the impression of motion, yet fast enough to make it interesting. So reading glasses, instruction manual, camera in hand I went out and shot it from 1/25 through 1/500 to see what looks best. Shot one on AUTO just as a reference point. Danged of the two I ended up choosing between were 1/125 and the auto 1/320. Why these two, learned something else also, these were the only two that gave a good perspective of the working of the sprinkler (circular water pattern). So the position of the object matters also (in hind thought that's gets a DAH, but had not thought that through initially). In the end I liked the 1/125 the best, so here it is.

Attached Images

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:45 PM   #2

That is a very cool sprinkler!
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:36 AM   #3

Fofa,

This is certainly water in motion. I empathize with the effort and frustrations trying to get a good shot much less an outstanding one.

I suspect that you'd have use a very slow shutter speed in the vicinity of 1/10 of a second or less.

Cheers for a great effort
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote