Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:26 PM   #1

Hi
This is my first attempt at this hope you like it? Shot today at Great Ayton in England UK.
I am spending hours looking through all the wonderful photographs on the forum. Thank you all.
Any advice appreciated.

Attached Images

miketuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:14 PM   #2

Welcome to our place of fun and learning. There is a new challenge posted every other Wednesday (Sometimes on Tuesday). This is not a contest but more like a shooting assignment you would get in a photography class. A topic is presented and your task is to interpret the topic with your camera. Critiques and comments are to be expected and hopefully will help you to learn new things. Do come back and participate regularly. The more the merrier.

Although this is a great photo as it is, I think I would like to see more of this location. Is there a place where you can get shot of the entire water feature. This shot show a great deal of detail which is great but it leaves one wondering what does the right side of this place look like. If it requires rubber hip waders to get the shot, then you probably don't want to do it. Maybe another shot from the opposite bank, if there is a way to get there.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 5:22 PM   #3

Mike,

Welcome to the Weekly Photo Challenge. Very nicely done. The rushing of the water over the artifical falls provides ample opprotunity to look at the scene thru various perspectives.

A scenic shot as you submitted gives one view, I'd be curious what a real close up of the rushing water looks like with the right lighting conditions. I noted that Cal expressed an interest in the surroundings.

I've often seen water displays in our parks and shopping malls but never paid too much attentino to them, maybe I should pay more attention.

Again, welcome and aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 7:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcome and your much appreciated comments, yesterday was a difficult day as it was very cloudy with the sun only briefly appearing and disappearing.

The location was a natural river called the River Leven with man made step falls.
If you are interested in the area and would like more information I have put a link below, lots of history in this area as it was once the childhood home of the famous explorer Captain James Cook.

http://www.hambleton.gov.uk/hambleto...reatayton.html
Here are some other photos taken that day.

http://miketomo.myphotoalbum.com/vie...umName=album02

Attached Images

miketuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5

Hi Mike, that's a great shot! I really enjoy water features and this one looks lovely. Your camera settings were good. You may want to try a higher aperture to see what kind of effect you get!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:34 AM   #6

Wow..what a difference in feelings in these two shots! After seeing both of them, I prefer the first one, although both shots are nice. The shutter speed you used really put some great detail in that water....way to go!

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote