Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:26 AM   #1

Well,. this time it's a rather easy challenge (I think almost 50% of my pictures could fall into this category), but I'll post only a few:

One of my Jeeping trips.

This was taken in "Las Pozas", if you want some info about this place, Google "Las Pozas" and "Edward James". I took alot of pictures of this waterfall, but this is one of my favourites.

Hope you like this pictures, has been a while now since my last post in this challenge.
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:47 PM   #2

The first picture is certainly unique. So, you just happened to bein the right place at the right time or you actually jumped out of the Jeep to take the shot?

As for the second, I loved the bottom part of the waterfall, particularly the architecture. The colors are wonderful and it makes me wonder what's down below. I do think, however, that you could benefit big time from a pol filter to reduce the glareon the leaves to the right of the falland the bluish on the water. I liked the water effect as wellbut it's a bitover exposed.Since you took a lot of pictures, perhaps you may find one that is less exposed. Good job, nonetheless!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:58 PM   #3

Thank you for your comments. In fact, the first picture was taken by a friend of mine using my Canon S2 camera, on Jeep trails, most of the people spend 90% out of the Jeeps watching.

And about the second, it was my first trip with the Canon S2, I was still learning how to use it. Now I have a Lensmate 52mm adapter with an UV filter and 2 lenses, haven't bought any other filters yet but your idea seems reasonable to me. I didn't buy the polarizer filter because I was short of money, but now it might be time to think about one.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:35 AM   #4

I too have an S2 but I usea 58mm adapter instead. I have lots of filters from my film SLR days that I'm now using with both my S2 and H1. The pol filter is nice but it does steal a couple of f/stops so as it gets dark, I remove it from the camera. The UV/HAZE filter stays on 100% of the time.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:50 AM   #5

The Jeep shot certainly demonstrates one aspect of water that has very common recently in parts of California and Hawaii. A force to be reckoned with and respected.

I agree with Tullio, the second shot has the highlights bown because of the overexposure.

Cheers
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:27 AM   #6

OK, you're right, it's overexposed, didn't pay close attention when I choose the picture, How about this one:

Now, herre the water is quite better, but the building seems rather dark, seems as if I had to apply some manual filtering processes to get all the hilights where they should be. I always have trouble with pictures that have dark and bright areas, but it should be a normal issue though.

Regards
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:52 AM   #7

Well, the second shot is better in some ways but worse in others. The over exposure is certainly more under control but the architecture piece at the bottom is almost all dark and one can not see the nice details. This is indeed a tricky scene to photograph because of its wide range of contrast. Some authorssuggest that youmeter the light on the green area and then re-compose and shoot. Others suggest you meter on the water and knock exposure down by about 2/3. I'm not an author or a professional photographer so I can suggest something based on my limited experience only. First, the use of a pol filter is mandatory for water is deadly when it comes to light reflection. The reflection alone can be enough to over expose an image. By using the pol, you reduce all the glare and reflection caused by light shinning on waterand leaves. Then, have the camera in Av mode, meter on the green area of your scene and whatever aperture you come up with, drop it down by 1 f/stop. Recompose and shoot. The greatest thing about digital photography is that I don't feel bad giving my 2c because if it does not work for you, at least it won't cost you anything!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:00 AM   #8

If I were shooting this shot, I'd use a GND and set it on the diagonal. That should go a long way to bringing most of the image within the dynamic range of the camera. Nonetheless, the second shot seems quite respectable to me.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:17 AM   #9

Your jeeping trip looks like a riot of fun!! Your exposure in that image is really nice...the detail in the water is great.

The falls image has a lot of potential! I do agree thatthe water is overexposed. My methodwould beas Tullio explained...metering off the greens or a another midtone. I would even try metering off the sky if it is blue(midtone). What the heck, it's like Tullio says, if you're shooting digital, it doesn't cost ya anything to shoot, shoot, shoot!

Rather than miss a shot, also try bracketing...very helpful if you're on vacationor visiting a tourist attraction on a Sunday drive for the reason thatmany times we're unable to return to the scene.

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:20 AM   #10

In fact, I was playing between Av and Manual settings. The first shot was shot with manual and 0.3s to get the blurred water, but the F/8 of my Canon wasn't enough to get the picture dark enough. At that time I had no lense adapter and thus no filters, but I like the idea of a polarizer, since it was not full wide angle (I think it was around 50mm equivalent), I wouldn't have gotten negative effects. About the GND filter, the only problem would be that it would finally darken some unwanted area anyway, no matter how you use it on this scene. However it's worth a try.

Regards