Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:54 AM   #1

Here is a very quiet, shady pool I discovered a few years back while out shooting pictures of covered bridges. This photo is taken in the town of Cottage Grove, Oregon which is in the central western part of Oregon. There is a very large covered railroad bridge located directly behind where I was standing to take this photo.

Most of the color here is from overhanging trees reflecting in the water.

Scanned 35mm slide

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2

Cal,

On first glance I started to think how terrible the stream looked filled with algae. Then read your message and did a 90 degree. If you view the bottom right of the image the full beauty of the stream and the reflections really stand out.

Very nice job

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 2:08 PM   #3

Beautiful colors...the shades of blues and greens are lovely. I also love the splash of sun int heback.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:41 PM   #4

Wonderful picture, Cal. The under exposed colors produced a very well balanced atmosphere and the blue sky contrasted very well with the darker tones.
The composition is also perfect. You've got a bit of everything. Great job!!!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:11 AM   #5

Thank you everyone for your kind remarks.

There is an interesting story behind this photo. This was shot with Fujichrone Provia 100 film. However, the camera was set for ISO 40, the setting I normally use for Fuji Velvia ISO 50. Setting ISO 40 with the Velvia produces better saturation. However, setting the camera for ISO 40 with ISO 100 film results in all frames being 2 1/2 f-stops over-exposed. When I took the film into the lab for processing, I told them what happened and asked if they could compensate during processing. I was pleased to hear that 2 1/2 stops was about the maximum they could correct. I think it is called pull processing.

Anyway, the slides turned out great. The colors were superb. The lab saved my butt. For those of you who have never shot film, this probably doesn't mean anything. For those that have, you know what I am talking about.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:44 AM   #6

Very interesting history behind this shot, Cal. I did film photography for many years and I must admit I've never setup my camera to an ISO (ASA) different than the film. I've thought about it but did not think the lab would be able to make any corrections like that. Now I really don't have to worry about it!!!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote