Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:50 PM   #1

While visiting the Gold Country (CA) this past weekend, I had the opportunity to take hundreds of pictures not just inside the many caverns I visited but the surrounding areas as well. This mini-waterfall runs next to the California Caverns. The water colors at the top of the fall is beautiful. Unfortunately, due to the amount of rain they've had during the past month, the paths leading to the falls were blocked and I could only go so far.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:18 AM   #2

I really like this photo but I'm not sure if it qualifies. The colors and composition are great but the water is only a minor player in the picture. I will leave it to Selvin for his opinion since it is his challenge. Water is shown in two different forms, a calm stream, and white water as it spills over the precipice.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:57 AM   #3

Thanks for your comments, Cal. If the photo does not qualify, feel free to delete the topic.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:57 PM   #4

We don't delete photos that don't qualify. We go out behind the barn and delete the photographer.....Just kidding, of course. No need to delete a great photo. Occasionally, we might recommend a different forum to post it in but usually we comment on why a photo doesn't fit the challenge and leave it at that.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:45 AM   #5

Tullio,

Sorry I haven't responded earlier to your Gold Country series. Yes I agree with cal the bush unfortunately takes away from the full impact of the photos. I know what you are talking about when you mention difficulty in accessing a better vantage point.

Being an advocate of water frozen in time rather than the cottony effect the third picture didn't quite hit the spot either. I try not to let my personal prefenerces dictate most of my comments hwoever.

Good effort.

Alloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:15 AM   #6

Thanks for your comments, selvin (always very much appreciated). It is hard to tell by the LCD or EVF what kind of water effect was created. Next time I will try both extremes (low and high shutter speeds) and see what I come up with. Like you, I too prefer the frozen effect as opposed to the cottony.