Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:57 AM   #1

I took a dawn flight in a hot air balloon today and we flew over a pond....

Cheers,
Ollie
Attached Images

Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:18 AM   #2

Ollie,

If you hadn't said something about the composition I would've wondered why your hands were shaking so much while taking the shot.

A most interesting reflection, but without the legend it doesn't pack any impact. there are no cues to let you know what's happening.

Great idea tho..

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:04 AM   #3

Without knowing this was a reflection in water, it could just as easily been a ground shot of the baloon on a very hot day. Heat waves from a hot surface such as asphalt could have caused the distortions in the shot. Since there is nothing in the photo to show that this is water, I don't think it qualifies. Also, the subject of the phot is the baloon, not the water.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:32 AM   #4

calr wrote:
Quote:
Without knowing this was a reflection in water, it could just as easily been a ground shot of the baloon on a very hot day. Heat waves from a hot surface such as asphalt could have caused the distortions in the shot. Since there is nothing in the photo to show that this is water, I don't think it qualifies. Also, the subject of the phot is the baloon, not the water.

Cal
Well, yeah, but does that mean that all the entries in this comp which are reflections of objects in water don't qualify because the subject of the photo is the thing that is being reflected? Surely the creative use of water to compose an image qualifies. And after all, the entire shot is of water (yes, I did really take it looking down into water, not up on a hot day - it was bloody cold :-))

Ollie
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:37 AM   #5

Give it up Ollie. With Selvin and Cal you're between a rock and a hard place when it comes to interpreting the guidelines. Nice shot, tho.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:01 AM   #6

Walter and Ollie, I agree that often the interpretation of the challenge is very subjective. Regarding this photo, which is a great shot by the way, I am not saying it was shot from the ground. I am merely saying that it is not obvious that it is a water shot. However, since hot air baloons generally launch early in the morning when the air is calm and cool, the possibility that it is a ground shot is greatly diminished.

Anyway, it does not matter what Selvin, Rose, and I think about it. The fact that the challenge got you thinking about ways of looking at things and interpreting a photo assignment is the most important thing. We moderators try to steer you in the right direction but, ultimately, you are the one behind the camera and you are the one applying the challenge topic to what you see through the lens.

There will be cases in future challenges where the guidelines are very specific and others where the subject is very broad. The next challenge to be posted this evening will be the latter case.

Thank you for participating and thank you for your feedback. Communication in this group is not one-way. If you don't agree with something that has been said, feel free to say so...tactfully! If we all agreed on everything, this forum would not be necessary.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote