Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:25 PM   #1

Hello!

Well you specifically asked to see photos of farms outside the USA. This photo came to my mind, from when I was back "home" in Tasmania (Australia) in Dec 2001.

I apologise in advance for the blown out sky. I couldn't recover it well enough in photoshop, so I just left it as is. I guess this fits the:

- Photos of farm animals grazing or in the barnyard

criteria too (obviously not in barnyard here).

It's a typical Tasmanian scene, rolling green hills, and forested hills / mountains in distance. We've got LOADS of space in Australia (also Tasmania) - so farms tend to be quite big, especially the HUGE mainland farms, thefarms there are the biggest in the world (also because the rainfall is often so low in parts of mainland Australia, the sheep orcattle have heaps of hectares per animal to stop the grass dying out due to over-grazing!)

Hope this is interesting to you and meets the criteria.

Maybe if I have more time I'll post a few Romanian farm scenes (where I live now)... as an interesting comparison / persepctive too. But not tonight!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:25 PM   #2

PS I also apologise for the electric wire cutting through this scene. I just don't have time to do any more editting / cloning just now...

Paul
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:42 PM   #3

Great shot of the cattle and the countryside. It looks beautiful. The wire, though somewhat distracting, is not really a problem. Let's face it. Wires are a part of life. You can't get away from them.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:14 PM   #4

Paul I think you startled the cows. They seem to be wondering what you're doing.

I wouldn't even try to remove the electric lines, I agree with Cal, they are a reality nowadays.

Very nicely done.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:52 AM   #5

Thanks Cal and Selvin for looking and your kind comments.

Indeed power lines ARE a part of life, so I guess I'll leave them in this shot then.

I did sort of "alert" the cows, but not really "startle" them. They are used to traffic as this shot is taken from a main road. OK not so busy as Tasmania has a small population and not much traffic in rural parts. But I guess curiousity got the better of them when I was standing out of my car composing this photo.

"Curiousity killed the cows?" After a few seconds they then returned to grazing, keeping their heads in the lush green grass... converting to beef meat or milk....

I liked this photo because it represents Tasmanian rural farming quite well and because the cows are all facing this way.

Thanks again

Paul
Old Apr 27, 2006, 4:19 AM   #6

Paul

where abouts in Tassie is the photo from?

I grew up in a dairy and vegatable growing area at Scottsdale.

Now I live in the Capital Hobart.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 5:51 AM   #7

Philneast,

well good guess, very good!

It's from north east Tasmania, just a few kilometres before or past Scottsdale if my memory serves me well (I mean it's definitely near Scottsdale, I just can't remember which side!). My parents live in Targa (the 2 houses half way between the big smoke of Launceston and Scottsdale!) Tassie is such a small cute place!

And now you're in the big BIG smoke of Hobart-town. Oh dear!! :blah:

I think that some of the finest farming areas and also many good countryside landscapes in Tassie are also on the north West coast, e.g. near Table-Cape area. I have driven there a number of times about 10 years ago and loved each day. And apparently the soil / grass is good there too.

Glad you could look.

All the best from Romania (and g'day!)

Paul

Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:47 AM   #8

Beautiful country! Those cows certainly don't have a shortage of grass to graze on there! Very nice use of DOF...front to back is nicely sharp...

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote