Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 3, 2006, 3:46 PM   #21

Yes, that's much better Tullio. for how simple it is to use, Picasa does a pretty amazing job with many photos - though sometimes it kind of over-does things.

Turnbill

Turnbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 5:05 PM   #22

Wow! I think this is the first time in a very long time that a thread in this forum has extended to two pages. This is great. Activity in the forum has increased dramatically in the last couple of month and that is great even if it keeps us mods hopping!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 6:59 PM   #23

Thanks, Turnbill. I couldn't agree more with you. Picasa is great for quick fixes but it lacks fine adjustments over certain features, such as the "Sharpen" effect. Nevertheless, I can improve an image qualitya lot quicker than if I had to use PS. I hope the guys at Google improvesome of the functionalities of Picasa on future versions.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 11:19 AM   #24

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Hi StitchBabe, in the old days of film photography, I used to develop my own B&W films (just for fun) and I can tell you it is a very tricky process. To begin with, if you don't use special filters to create deeper contrasts, you most likely will end up with a blended grey photograph. However, today's photo editors can easily simulate the effects of filters and the manipulation of B&W photography becomes a much easier task (even to those like me who are not PS experts). In any case, I quickly ran you colored photo through Picasa, which is a very simple editor when compared to PS (it's good for quick fixes), and here's my version of it. I still prefer the color version, though.
Hi Tullio,

I can really see the difference in the photo you posted!! You did a GREAT job! The details really show up in your edit. I've never tried Picasa before but I might give it a try.

Sounds like a real job to get B&W just right. I've been shooting for a little over a year and a half and haven't quite caught on to filter use yet in the way of shooting B&W. I do have a neat function on my camera though which acts as a filter for B&W...If I remember right, there's 4 different colors to bring out different colors in a B&W image. I really should look into it more and try it out!

Thanks a bunch Tullio!! Love the edit!

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 11:25 AM   #25

calr wrote:
Quote:
Wow! I think this is the first time in a very long time that a thread in this forum has extended to two pages. This is great. Activity in the forum has increased dramatically in the last couple of month and that is great even if it keeps us mods hopping!

Cal
That's because it's toooooo much fun Cal!!!! I know I'm sure enjoying myself here...love to see everyone's work and it's nice to see everyone's interpretation of each weekly challenge.

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 1:22 PM   #26

Thanks for the compliments, StitchBabe. I think B&W photography became much easier after the digital revolution. If you have such a camerafeature alreadybuilt-in, you should definitely try it. I usedan equivalent to a blue filter on your picture. That's what worked best on the truck to bring out the various color textures. So, you can have a rough idea ofhow you could obtain such an effect straight out of the camera.

Cal,like StitchBabe, I've been having a blast here. I love to read people's comments and suggestions and each challenge makes me look at the world with different eyes.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote